Chapter 7

trigger warning: death involving surgery

I'm supposed to be happy watching my parents renew their vows. Happy that the made it this long, but I'm finding it hard to even focus on the vows being exchange, when I can feel eyes glaring at the back of my head. This isn't how any of this was supposed to happen.

I turn my head slightly, so I can see Lucas' green eyes locked on me. I know I should look away because the longer I stare the deeper I'm getting drawn in.

Auggie nudges me to get my attention. "The show is up front." He whispers loud enough for me to hear. "Who are you even looking at?" He follows my stare to Lucas. "You know, maybe you should talk to him."

I don't say anything; I just give him a half smile and turn my attention back to my parents. After what Lucas found out today, I don't think I'll much of a choice to ignore him. I know he'll push his way to talk and I'll let him through. He was my weakness at one point. Who am I kidding, he still is.

I'm stuck in a daze. Maybe Auggie is right, I should just talk to him. He was never supposed to know that I was pregnant and gave birth to a baby girl. He knows the truth now. He does deserve some explanations considering the baby was his too, even though he didn't even know she existed.

My thoughts were so consumed with what exactly I'm going to tell Lucas. If I'm going to tell him everything or just the things he needed to know. That I didn't realize that the ceremony ended.

"Are you coming?" Auggie says standing in front of me. "You've been staring off into nowhere. Are you okay?"

I stand up straightening out my dress, "Yeah I'm fine. Let's go." I loop my arm through his and we make our way out of the room. I guess we were the last ones to leave.

As we move closer to the door, I see the five of them standing by there with all eyes on me yet again. I wish they didn't come, but they are here. I'll just ignore them. I don't need anything happening here to ruin the day. I already feel guilty enough by completely zoning out during the ceremony.

I see them all make a movement towards me as I inch closer to them. They aren't going to leave me alone. "I'll meet you down the hall at the reception. I have to do something okay." I say unlooping my arm from Auggie's. He looks behind me and gives me a look of worry. "I'll be okay. Just go. I'll be there in a minute."

I watch my brother walk away and I'm kind of regretting telling him to go. Now, it's just the six of us. Might as well get it over with. I take a deep breath before I turn on my heels.

"Look I know you guys want to talk, but this is not the right time to do it." I say stopping in front of them.

"Well when will be the right time?" Lucas snaps. He has every right. He has questions, and I have the answers.

"I don't know, just not here." I try to walk away, but Lucas gently grabs my wrist. "Lucas please not here."

"One minute is all I'm asking." I look into his eyes and I can see them pleading with me. I can see pain. He does deserve answers now that he knows. He turns his attention to the others. "I need a minute alone with Riley do you guys mind." Smackle and Farkle start in the direction of the reception, and Zay tries to pull Maya to go with him, but she refuses to.

"Actually, I do mind." Maya looks directly at me. "Riley, if he gets to talk to you I feel like I should get-"

"This isn't the place for this, Maya." Lucas cuts her off. "Just please go. I need a minute alone with Riley." She doesn't move. "Zay, can you please help me here?"

"You know I can't make her do anything she doesn't want to do." Zay says almost jokingly. It's true though. Maya won't do anything she doesn't want to do. At least that's what I remember about her.