Chapter 6

Trigger warning: Talks about what happened with Riley's pregnancy.

Today is the whole reason I came to New York for the week, my parent's vow renewal. I don't know what's going to happen, but I know for sure I'm going to see everyone today. It scares me. I've spent so many years hiding, and now they all know exactly where I'm going to be tonight because they'll be there too.

My mom barged in my room at six in the morning basically dragging me out of my bed. She made breakfast while I took a shower, when I finally got out and went down stairs breakfast was waiting for me on the kitchen table.

"Why does Auggie still get to sleep?" I say yawning.

"Because he's more help sleeping. He'll just get in the way."

"Well isn't he lucky. What about dad?"

"I thought I'd be nice and let him sleep a little longer."

"Well what do you need me to do? I'm here to help" I say before biting into a piece of toast.

My mom smiles, "Nothing. I just wanted you to come with me to the salon, get pampered. I made calls yesterday while I was at work, so I wouldn't have to stress about it today. I know everything doesn't start to much later today, but you leave tomorrow and I wanted to spend as much time as I can with you as possible."

"Aw mom!" I rush over to her and hug her. "That's why I'm the only one up?"

"I just wanted you to myself for a little bit. Now finish up and get dressed, so we can get started with our morning."

My mom and I leave the apartment a little after nine and make our way to the salon. The time alone with my mom is something much needed for the both of us. I never realized how much I missed doing little things like this with my mom. The only difference now is, now I don't have to share her with Maya.

When we finally get the salon, I watch as my mom makes her way to the counter to check into her appointment. I told her today was just about her, and that I didn't need any treatment today. She does so much for everyone every day, one day can be just about her.

They take my mom to a chair, since there was no one in the chair next to her I take it. I watch as my mom tells the hairdresser exactly what she wants, and she's very adamant on what she wants no matter what is suggested to her.

"Are you nervous out at for today mom?"

She lets out a small sigh, "I'd be lying if I said no. It's like I get to marry your father all over again. I'm lucky to have a love that your dad and I share. Not everyone is lucky."

"I wonder if I'll ever have that." I see my mom give me a look. "What?"

"Nothing."

"Your face tells me otherwise. What is it?"

She hesitates at first, "It nothing. You'll find it. I know you will." I tilt my head to the side. I want to let it go. I really do, but I think everyone knows by now that I have a hard time letting anything go. "You aren't going to let it go are you?" I shake my head. "I don't want to ruin the day by getting into a disagreement with you." As soon as she said that I knew what she was going to say.

"Mom, you can't ruin that day. I promise, so please tell me."

"I think you've already found that once in a lifetime love."

"With Lucas?" I say looking straight ahead. "Why?"

"For one you have not dated anyone since you left. Maybe you have, but it never turned into anything serious because you never mentioned anyone or introduced anyone to us when we visit you." I take a deep breath. I don't know if I want to hear this. "Riley, the way I catch him staring at you when you weren't looking as if you were his whole world and vice versa. When you would talk about him, your eyes would shine. Seriously you'd be able to light a dark room with them. At first I was little skeptical at first, I thought it was puppy love, but the more I watched you guys together I knew it was so much more. Why do you think your dad was always on edge around Lucas? He thought this was the boy that he was going to lose his only daughter to. I don't think I ever seen you more comfortable with yourself than when you were with him. You really lov-" She gets interrupted by her phone ringing. I let out the breath I didn't even realize I was holding.