Chapter 12

Just like when I arrived in New York, no one was there waiting for me. Sometimes the life I built for myself can be a bit lonely, but I try not to focus on that. I've met some pretty amazing people; I just don't have the people I want most in my life. Not at the moment anyways.

After I get my luggage, I go outside and wait until I can get a cab. While I wait I turn on my phone. Two missed calls from my dad and three from my mom, along with several text messages from the both of them and Auggie.

Dad
You left without saying bye?! My heart! He is always so dramatic. I can picture him not clutching his hands to his chest, faking a heart attack.

So, I might or might not have told Lucas where you were. My eyes go wide, is he serious?!

Okay, I didn't! Wipe that look off your face. Call when you land, so I know you're safe. I love you.

PS Maybe consider letting Lucas have this number. He misses you, and the fact that you didn't come in because he was here, only says that you had to avoid him because he could get you to stay. I'm your father, I know everything.

I roll my eyes and move on to my mom's messages.

Mom
Riley Anne Matthews! She's mad, she only uses my full name when she is mad.

I understand you didn't want to see Lucas, but you couldn't have called and I would have gone outside. She does know he would have followed her, right?

Call me or your father when you land. We also have to discuss Thanksgiving. I love you. Have a safe flight.

She sounds too calm, just wait until I call her. Auggie now.

Aug
Just warning u mom & dad are mad u left without a word

I cant wait 2 come up for Thanksgiving mom said I can go 4 the whole week! Hope u had a safe flight text me when u land and call mom or dad

I was about to call my dad because I thought maybe he would be more manageable compared to my mom, but a cab was available and I rushed to it. I'll just call when I get home.

In the cab, I was still trying to process everything that had occurred just in the past few days. I have forty-five minutes to wrap my mind around everything. I look out the window taking in the scenery it different from here than in New York. It starts to change the closer we get to my house, the buildings become less frequent and homes become more common surrounded by trees.

The closer we get to my house I start to grow anxious of the realization that I'll be alone, and right now that is something I don't want. So, when the taxi driver drops me off I go inside my house and drop off my luggage and grab my keys.

Where I'm going is about a twenty-minute drive from my house. The location of my house isn't the best, but I searched high and low for it. As soon as I seen it, I knew this was the home for me. It was the first big purchase I made once my website took off, but the drive to and from places can sometimes be a little inconvenient. I won't move though.

I'm going to the only place that has provided me with any comfort for the past years. The closer I get I can feel myself become more at ease. I pull into the gate and park off to the side. I turn off the car look out the window and I feel the heaviness in my heart. I take a deep breath and walk out.

Each step I take I can see it, not that I need to read it I have it embedded in my head.

Hope Olivia Matthews