Chapter 13

I knew I missed Lucas, but I didn't understand the extent of it until I heard his voice last night. We talked for hours. Both of us were both a bit nervous at first, but it didn't last long. I did feel bad that we did stay up so late. It was only midnight my time, however, it was three his time. He said he didn't mind because he was able to hear my voice. So, I guess it wasn't much of a surprise when I woke up this morning to a text message from him.

Lucas
Goodmorning Riley! Talking to you last night about everything and nothing was something I really needed. I miss you.

I can't help the smile that strews across my lips

Me
Maybe tonight if I don't leave the work so late, we can talk again.

I press send and toss my phone on my bed. I move to my bathroom and start the shower, but before I can star undressing I hear my phone bing. It's like the teenage inside of me went off because I dash out of my bathroom and to the side of my bed.

Lucas
Doesn't matter what time, call me. Talking to you is the only way I'm okay with losing any sleep.

Throughout the day Lucas and I text each other. I don't know why I thought we would be able to wait till tonight to talk. I smile all day. He makes me happy, just talking to him for a few hours makes me feel like I have a piece of me that's been missing. It's different talking to him when I'm states away, no one is forcing me to talk to him or I don't feel forced. I'm doing it because I want to.

I decide to leave work early today for the first time in months, but I don't go home instead I go over to Michael and Jessica's house to surprise them. They call me almost every day to check in, but I haven't seen Michael or Nathan since before I left, and Jessica the day I got back.

Their house is beautiful. It's a two story light grey house with darker grey window shutters and a black window door. It sounds a little gloomy, but it fits Seattle weather. I walk down the walkway leading up to their door and ring the doorbell.

I'm greeted by a tall brunette with brown eyes.

"Riley!" He looks back to the stairs, "Nathan come down someone's here who you missed!" He shouts.

"Hey Michael!" I move in to give him a hug. "How have you guys been?"

"We've been great!"

"That's good to hear. I'm sorry I didn't come sooner."

"Don't worry about that. Jessica will be back soon with dinner. She didn't feel like cooking tonight," he chuckles. "You are staying for dinner."

"I don't want to-"

I get interrupted by a now eight-year-old Nathan running down the stair. "RILEY!" He practically yells. I turn my attention to the blonde hair light brown eyed boy.

"Hey little guy!" He wraps his arms around me and squeezes me tight. He's gotten so tall, pretty soon he is going to tower over me.

"Nathan how about you go set the table." Michael says.

"But do I have to?" Nathan whines.

I can't help the quiet laugh that escapes my lips. "How about I go help you? Apparently I'm staying for dinner."

I see a smile that spreads across his face. He reminds me of Auggie when he was this age. Maybe that's why I get along with him so well.

Nathan and I move to the dining room table. I grab the plates and silverware, and he grabs cups and cloths. The both of us walk around the table placing the items for each person. He tells me about his pee wee football team and how he is excited for his game against their rival team in a few weeks, but he's nervous too.