/4\

You stumbled blindly through the harsh snowy tundra, your head whipping around at every turn. Every broken branch served as another sign that he was closing in on you, ready to end your life once more.

"I'm sorry [Y/N]..." Flowey murmured solemnly as you let out a muffled cry, colliding with a tree. How many times had he said that to you? A dozen? Three hundred?

The yellow buttercups that had fixated themselves onto your head had formed a semi-circle around your face, covering your eyes. Now the darkness seemed frightened, a sadistic way to slowly prolong your fear and uncertainty before you finally departed this hellish realm. You were left blinded god-knows-how many resets ago, losing count as the bones had pierced through your chest, feeling the blood slowly drain from your body and onto the cold, snowy ground.

"Flower you today sweetheart?" the gruff voice sounded from behind you. Like Flowey, this skeleton - Sans, you had learned his name to be - seemed to remember the numerous times he had killed you.

There was a certain tone his voice had undertaken, a tone you had not noticed in the previous runs. Is that pity? you wondered, feeling a soft spark of hope rise inside you. Regret?

"P-Please..." you whispered, knowing that it wouldn't make any difference. Sans had killed you multiple times before, why should he stop now? If anything, he seemed to enjoy watching you bleed to death on the forest floor, but some part of you disagreed with that. There had seemed to be a part of him that recoiled from the sickening crunch as he forced the bones into your abdomen, as if he didn't agree with this any more than you did.

Is someone making him do this? you thought with a hint of disgust.

You felt your muscles clench, an instinctive reaction in preparation for the wave of bones that would soon shoot through you. Throughout the howling wind of the forest, you could hear the muffled sounds of...

(Sobbing?)

"Dammit!" Sans shouted. The rapid crunching of snow indicated that he was beginning to pace back and forth. "Papyrus is going to kill me. One job, one task, and I couldn't even do that." A stone skidded by your foot, most likely having been kicked in frustration by Sans. "Kill the human, do something useful with your life for once!" he continued to rant, his voice doing an impersonation of whom you imagined was Papyrus.

Your fear of the skeleton dissolved into that of pity. "Why are you so afraid of him?" you asked. "Papyrus is your brother, not your enemy." Images flashed through your mind of your own family, finding their rotting heads mounted on stakes throughout the village.

"Heh," Sans muttered, his much softer this time, losing its gruff tone. You detected that he too felt pity, but not for himself. "You really don't understand what the Underground is like, do you?" His voice became much harsher as he began to recount distant memories. "Show no fear, no emotion. Let your anger show. It's the only way to stay alive in these parts," he mumbled sarcastically.

"SANS!"

The two of you stiffened at the harsh voice that sounded only a few feet from where you were standing. "Papyrus!" Sans exclaimed, fear now prominent in his tone. "I-I mean b-boss, I was just about to k-kill the hu-"

"WHAT A DISGRACE!" You sensed a presence towering over you. You assumed that Papyrus was several feet tall, and that his ego was even bigger. "IF THE MONSTERS IN SNOWDEN SAW WHAT YOU WERE DOING, I'D BE FINISHED! YOU DISGRACEFUL EXCUSE OF A BROTHER, THROWING AWAY EVERYTHING WE'VE WORKED FOR. AFTER EVERYTHING I'VE DONE FOR YOU!"

There was a sickening crunch and a loud collision. You let out a muffled cry of protest as you realized that Papyrus had kicked his brother, sending him on a collision course with a nearby tree. You felt Papyrus' gaze fall on you. "YOU, HUMAN. DO YOU REALIZE WHAT YOU'VE COST ME? I'LL HAVE TO FINISH THE JOB MY BROTHER COULDN'T!"