/9\

"Sans?"

A tall skeleton was hunched over a table, working frantically at some unidentifiable contraption. He wrote in unintelligible symbols, depicting various faces and hand gestures. Sans walked straight through you, sending chills down your spine. You weren't actually a material being in this time, but more of a spectator.

"I've got what you need G," Sans hummed and dumped random metal parts onto the table. Unlike how you had first seen him, Sans was clad in a lab coat that was five sizes too big for him. There was no traces of anger or hatred that was often displayed on the faces of the monsters in the Underground, but rather an aura of serene tranquility had settled itself between the two skeletons.

"Soon..." the tall scientist murmured, gesturing lazily to some contraption that was shielded from view underneath a white sheet. "All of our problems, this is our new start! Our new future!"

"Mhm..." Sans muttered, clearly uninterested. He reached into his back pocket and began to chug a bottle of ketchup. Curiosity flared through you at this. He has neglected to mention of his previous interest in the condiment, hell, he had neglected to mention any of the events you were now witnessing.

If the scientist heard him, he expressed no interest. "As you know, when humans fall down into the Underground, whatever curse lingers in the initial spawnpoint, it leaves the soul tainted, bringing about this so called flower crown that slowly forms on the infected human's head. This machine, however, can remove this curse and we can properly harvest human souls, souls that are capable of finally breaking the Barrier."

"Wonderful..." Sans was busy reading a joke book. He reached into his back pocket to produce another bottle of ketchup.

"Hand me the wrench," the scientist barked, excitement laced in his voice. A climatic air filled the room as Sans slowly trudged over to the lone tool and handed it to him.

"Gaster, tampering with stuff like this, Alphys warned that it could have nasty on the rest of the Underground. Chara's soul is confined to the Ruins, but if we somehow managed to free her, she could tamper with the rest of the Underground..." Sans warned, anxiously peering over Gaster's shoulder.

"NOT NOW!" he barked, turning bolts and screws at random. A puff of smoke emerged from the windpipe of the machine followed by a satisfactory humming noise. "Sans..." Gaster murmured, taking a step backwards in amazement. "It worked. The curse..."

A harsh, red light flashed across the room. The machine exploded into pieces, chunks of metal flying across the room. You let out a muffled cry as a piece sailed through your transparent form. "The curse? It's still there. But golly, I've got to thank you Gaster!"

A red apparition was hovering over the smoldering remains of the machine. They resembled you with almost striking accuracy, the only difference being the bloodlust in their eyes. "Being trapped in the Ruins for all those years, I've got to say, was almost driving me to the breaking point! But you and your ego had to go around, trying to fix that wretched curse of mine, trying to be the hero."

"Leave him alone Chara," Sans snarled, stepping in front of Gaster protectively. His left eye flared a vibrant dark blue, a startling contrast to the red one you had known.

"You think you can stop me?" Chara shook her head in a fit of laughter. "With my newfound freedom, the entire code of this world is mine, free for my tampering!"

A screech escaped from Sans and he collapsed to the ground, shuddering involuntarily as red lines snaked across his skull. His flattened teeth elongated and became filed to a fine point, resembling the appearance you now knew him as. His blue eye flashed a variety of colors before settling on a crimson red. "That jacket never suited you anyway," she murmured and waved her hand, the jacket morphing into the crimson, leather jacket that Sans had clad since the day you had first met him.

Sans slowly got to his feet, shaking as a new emotion welled inside of him. There was a consistent anger that now seemed to follow him, his transformation now complete. With dawning horror you realized that Chara's corruption of this timeline had resulted in the harsh atmosphere that seemed to linger over every monster.

A trace of her soul resides in everyone and everything, you thought darkly and watched as Chara floated over to Gaster, burying a crimson knife into the base of his skull and dislodging his head from his spinal cord.

"I'm going to kill you," Sans rasped, slowly getting to his feet. Chara only rolled her eyes and place three fingers to his skull. Immediately, the light vanished from his eyes and he collapsed to the floor, twitching.

"None of you will remember your previous lives," she added with sadistic satisfaction.

And with that, she began to laugh, a cold, hard one that lasted long after the vision had faded.