/8\

There was a brief, brief moment in which you felt the entirety of the spear buried deep within your throat, choking on the blood that streamed from the gaping wound. It was also in that moment that you saw Sans change. His once friendly demeanor evaporated and he turned towards some unknown figure and began to attack them with a stream of red lasers.

It smelled like burnt fish.

And then your vision faded out entirely, your soul on the brink of entering whatever afterlife lay after this one. No matter how much you protested, how much you wanted to, your body refused to die. The scenery change to the moment only seconds before the attack.

"If you're hungry, I know a place or two," Sans repeated the phrase. You gave him a half-hearted smile, ears straining to catch any signs of your attacker.

There! A shift of gravel, the heavy breathing that was only feet behind you, aspects you would never have noticed in the first run through. On cue, you darted to the right, a glowing blue spear stabbing into the area you had been only milliseconds ago. It was only then that you could catch a full glimpse of your attacker.

She hovered at about five feet and a half above the ground, crimson hair pulled back into a ponytail. A maniacal sneer played her face, revealing two rows of spear-like teeth. She took on the appearance of a fish-woman, clad in black metal armor. Sans seemed just as taken aback as you, displaying his anger through a single, glowing red eye.

"Sans!" the fish woman snarled, pointing her spear angrily in your direction. You took a step backwards, determined to put as much distance between you and the spear as possible. "I heard rumors of you associating with a human, but this... this is a whole new kind of low."

She shook her head impatiently. "Your brother is the head of the Royal Guard! Do you know what this will do to this reputation? Mine?" She tossed the spear into her other hand. "Papyrus sent me to find you and end this... situation."

Sans said nothing a took a step towards Undyne, a murderous glint in his eyes. There seemed to be some sort of underlying knowledge, as if he was aware of events that had not happened, but yet had occurred. It suddenly occurred to you that Sans may have been part of the select individuals that remembered beyond the resets. He remembers Undyne killing me, you thought with a chill and closed your eyes as a harsh, red light filled the terrain of Waterfall.

A moment of silence passed before Sans turned away from what remained of Undyne. He said nothing and brushed past you, his eyes clouded with an unidentifiable emotion. There was a faint odor of seafood and you found your stomach protesting for food once more.

That night, you and Sans did not eat Undyne. However, Grillby had been more than thrilled to receive a donation. From that night and forward, fish and chips became one of the diner's best-selling items.

Sans had regained his joking attitude, engaging in conversations with multiple of the monsters throughout the diner. You smiled to yourself, relieved that he had partially regained his familiar personality.

You couldn't resist the temptation any longer. "Grillby," you waved the waiter down, feeling the enormous heat that rolled off him. "I'll have the fish and chips." A few minutes later, you were happily eating away at the meal. That's for stabbing me with a spear, you thought to yourself smugly.

After the monsters had begun to shuffle out from the diner, you felt Sans gently place his hand on the small of your back, leading you from your stool and towards an open area of the diner. You felt his bony hand intertwine with yours. A jukebox in the distance began to play. A part of you recognized the song that began softly at first and then gradually grew louder: