/7\

They were coming for you.

Your head whipped around violently, attempting to identify where the source of noise had come from. The world suddenly seemed so much more dangerous within the curtain of black that engulfed your vision. Someone's here. They're going to rip me apart piece by piece, but I'll come back. And then they'll do it over again. Over and over and over...

You felt a bony hand clamp around your mouth. You began to thrash violently as you were lifted three feet above the air. "When you think you are safe, just know that I will always be there to take that away from you. Your story will end here, [Y/N], in a dying world where no one will remember your name."

Papyrus' voice had taken on a deadly tone, concealing the once boisterous-pitched tone you had grown accustomed to. And suddenly you were flying through the air. Pain exploded inside your skull as you collided with the stone walls that ran through Waterfall.

"P-Please!" you moaned, shrinking away from the tall form that loomed over you. "I didn't mean to live, I didn't ask for any of this!"

"I'm sure you didn't," the voice had changed into one much harsher. Sans was the one speaking now, not his brother. "After all, you're just a waste of space, an accident. By chance you survived the slaughter of your village, not by fate. The world wouldn't be a different place without you [Y/N], so why don't you just die?" He paused for a moment. "You don't even die right, do you?"

A vision flashed through your mind like a CD stuck on repeat. Monsterkind had made it to the Surface and co-existed with humans in an almost sadistic harmony, despite their violent tendencies. Monsters you recognized: Toriel, Papyrus, and several others had joined together for a feast of some sorts. The scenery shifted to the Ruins inside the cavern in which you had first fallen down in.

Sans was hunched over the patch of buttercups (oh, how much you wished you had weedkiller right now), clutching a knife in a shaking hand. "M-Maybe..." he stammered. "Maybe today I'll have the courage to finally do it."

I'm dead, you thought and instinctively reached out to brush a stray tear that had fallen from his eye socket. You felt chills run through you as your hand passed through his skull.

With a strangled grunt, Sans thrust the knife into his stomach. He gave a few involuntary twitches before collapsing to the ground. A cry rose in the back of your throat and you floated towards him. This isn't real, you thought frantically, vainly attempting to cover the bleeding wound with your hands.

(Events yet to come).

"S-See you soon sweetheart..." he murmured. You flinched away from Sans as his shaking form withered into dust, the faint wind blowing it at your transparent form.

"[Y/N]!"

A scream rose in the back of your throat and you attempted to strangle whatever monster was attacking you. "No more!" you began to hammer your fists at the arms of your attacker. "I won't die! Let me go!"

"[Y/N], it's me!" Sans leaned in towards you, wrapping his arms around you. You stiffened at the contact, expecting him to shrivel into dust. "Y-You blacked after your last nightmare..." he murmured, the fear evident in his voice, despite the attempts he made to hide it.

"I'm sorry," you whispered, hugging him back. The two of you remained in the position for several minutes, the faint sound of trickling water the only noise in Waterfall accompanied with the light I'm sorry's produced by the Echo Flowers in range.

A light pounding manifested in the back of your head. Red dots floated through the black abyss that you now perceived the world as. A mental fog layered your thoughts, distorting reality from fantasy. "Why?" you asked, pulling away from Sans. "Why did you do it?"

"Do what?" There was concern in his voice now. For you, it sounded far away and distant, as if he was trying to speak to you while your head was underwater. Your left hand began to shake involuntarily, but you gave little notice to it.

"A knife..." you mumbled. "You had a knife and I watched you stab yourself with it. It was kind of funny, actually..." You were laughing now, unable to control the hysteria that had been threatening to spill over for quiet a long time now. Your entire body was beginning to shake rapidly, only increasing the distortion of your thoughts.

"I mean, only a few days ago I wanted to die. That's the reason I'm down here, actually. But now, the roles have changed, haven't they? I want to live, and you want to die!"

"[Y-Y/N], I don't want to die-"

"Not yet," you corrected Sans, another giggle escaping you. "But once I die, the monsters will go to the Surface and you'll stay behind because to you, what's the point of enjoying the Surface if I'm not there?" You shook your head in disappointment. "Gerald, I think that even when I die... Gerald are you listening?"

"It's Sans-"

"Gerald, when I die, you have to keep living, okay? Promise?"

If Sans replied, you didn't hear him. The tremors that racked your body had become so violent that you collapsed to the ground, oblivious to the shouts that came from Sans. Flowey observed from afar, the expression on his face unreadable. He had seen humans come and go, watched as they endured the curse over and over again.

The seizures were always the first sign that the human was on their deathbed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*

You hissed slightly as a bucket of cold water was dumped on your face. "What was that for Sans?!" you grumbled angrily and forced yourself upright. The mental fog that had pervaded your thoughts had retreated.

(For now.)

"My name is Sans now?" There was a humorous tone that Sans' voice had partaken to, but it did not mask the evident fear that was still troubling him. "I thought I was Gerald."

"Whatever..." you grumbled and attempted to dry the water from your now soaked [H/C] hair.

Your stomach rumbled in protest, most likely out of the fact you hadn't eaten in the last day. Sans chuckled at this. "If you're hungry, I know a place or two."

You opened your mouth to reply but never got the chance.

The spear slammed into your throat and the world went dark.