Chapter 20

Up ahead we see light streaming from a hole in the trees.

Star guides us to it "Through here is the way out."

We waste no time making our way through the path in the trees. Once out of the forest we are on top of a hill looking down on a large open grassy field. The long dry grass is swaying in the wind.

I stretch my arms over my head and reach towards the sun. "Finally. I never thought we'd get out of there."

"It wasn't that bad you baby." Star teases.

"You're used to living there so you don't get a say in this." I retort defensively.

Tiny looks confused "Why is the grass swaying when there's no wind?"

"What do you mean there's no wind? I can fee-" Star starts.

She looks at me and at that moment we both realize something's off. Tiny is right. The grass is swaying but it's not because of the wind.

I look around trying to find what might be causing it. "What in the world?"

As if to answer Tiny's question there is a loud screeching sound that shakes the ground. A couple seconds later a giant Scavenger flies over the top of the hill.

We all freeze.

"Maybe if we stand still it won't see us." I say terrified.

The giant Scavenger turns its head and looks around the field and stops as it's gaze rests on us. It narrows its eyes and lets out another earth shaking screech and dives toward us.

Star is the first to move "Come on don't stand there and gape at it, run!!"

"Ain't gotta tell me twice!" I exclaim while scooping up Tiny in my arms.

We take off down the hill with the giant Scavenger tailing us. It makes another dive pass and we fling ourselves to the ground to avoid the sharp claws from hooking us. It flies off into the trees after it attacks.

We slowly rise up from the grass and look around.

"Is it gone?" Tiny asks shakily.

Star narrows her eyes. "That was the Scavenger Queen. That explains why there were Scavengers in that part of the woods."

"Queen or no queen I say we get moving before that thing comes back." I put in.

"I think it's too late for that." Star says while pointing at the sky behind us.

A blob of green hurtles from the trees and barely misses us. When it makes contact with the ground it makes a sizzling sound and melts the earth around it.

"It spits acid too?!" I shout.

"Yep it seems so." Star replies while slowly backing away.

A rain of acid blobs starts falling down from the sky as the Scavenger queen attacks us. We're sprinting through the long grass while dodging the acid blobs all while watching where we were going at the same time.

Star is running a little ways in front of me and I see her dive behind a group of rocks. I follow her lead and do the same. For now we're safe. Not sure how long that'll last.

"Remind me to never visit this forest ever again." I gasp in between breaths.

"It's not normally this bad. They're only in the deepest part of the forest not sure why they're on the edges now." Star replies worriedly.

"So what's that thing's weak spot?" I ask.

"I'm not sure." Star replies.

"What do you mean you're not sure?" I ask.

"Look just because I live here doesn't mean I know everything about Scavengers." Star retorts irritatedly.

I throw my hands up apologetically. "My bad, that was uncalled for on my part."

"It's just...no one has ever defeated the Scavenger Queen, so no one knows what its weaknesses are." She draws her knees to her chest and puts her hand to her chin in thought. "Maybe you could try throwing your sword in one of its eyes. It's one of the few places there's not any protection. We can't defeat it but while it's distracted we can make a run for it."

"Well we don't have any other options so sounds like a good plan to me. I'm on it." I say while drawing my sword.

I creep out from behind the shelter of the rocks. "Hey!! Big, ugly coyote thing...you're ugly!!"

Yeah I know what you're thinking right now. Wow what an original insult. In my defense I have no witty insults floating around in my head right now so it'll have to do. I mean you try insulting a giant flying Scavenger that wants to eat you.

My terrible insult works. The beast lets out a horribly loud screech and dives towards with its claws out. Right before it can grab me in it's talon like paws, I throw my sword as hard as I can praying I hit my target. I can't help but smirk with satisfaction when the blade becomes deeply embedded in its right eye.

The Scavenger screeches angrily and furiously claws at the sword to try and dislodge it. In my peripheral vision I see Star and Tiny making a beeline for the trees on the other side. They made their escape. It's time for me to make mine. I quickly steal a quick glance back at the giant Scavenger to make sure it doesn't notice me. Thankfully Star's idea works. I don't waste any more time and I follow their lead and run after them.

~~~~~~~~

What's up my duckie ducks?!

Heh sorry Bread Winners reference. I had to put it in there 🤗

Anyway...

Who knew that there was going to be a surprise chase scene? Oh wait...I kinda did...whoops. 😅

As always my faithful readers thanks for reading and I'll see you all later!

I'll catch you guys another time!!

-----ScarletApollo99 😉