Chapter 24

Star's hunch is right. We hear the voice again but it sounds a lot louder and closer this time. We quickly work to dig through the rubble to save the trapped person. I see a small patch of gold surrounded by all the gray rocks. That fur color and the voice that goes with it...

I move away the last of the rocks and I see his face. That face I know exactly who it is. His eyes are closed. Silently I wish that he isn't dead.

I reach out a hand and lightly tap the side of his face "Captain?"

His eyes flutter open and he squints "Essix, is it really you?"

"Yes. I'm finally back old friend." I reply relieved. "I thought you were dead for a little bit there."

He scoffs. "You know it'll take more than a wall to kill me."

I chuckle "Of course sir. You're the toughest they come."

"As happy as I am to see you, I'm afraid you returned too late." Captain says sadly.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

Behind me I hear Star mutter under her breath "Gee your village got destroyed and you wonder why you were too late."

I shoot a glare at Star over my shoulder and she smirks and shrugs a what gesture at me.

"Help me up and I'll explain, but we must go somewhere more private than out here in the open. Who knows if they're still here or not." Captain says.

🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙🌙

We stop underneath the overhang of the temple and Captain pushes open one of the heavy wooden doors and motions us inside.

I've only been inside the Warrior Temple once before and it was on the day I got accepted into the village army. Intricately painted on the walls in gold and scarlet are past fox warriors and some of their greatest battles frozen in time. Lining the main walkway on either side are rows of marble columns. In the center of the temple is a large golden painting of Onyx with inscriptions written underneath it. Everything appears to be untouched. Which is strange considering the rest of the village no longer exists.

Captain directs us to the side behind the marble columns. He looks around and pulls his  tattered blue cloak around him. "It was a week or so after you were taken when the army arrived. The Chief gathered the elite guard and I was asked to rally the others and  then we all went into battle. To begin with it was clear that we were greatly outnumbered. It wasn't long before we had to fall back."

Captain lightly rubs a nasty looking gash on his arm. "The enemy took this to their advantage and advanced into the village. They destroyed most of the buildings and took everyone. If that wall hadn't have fallen on me they would've taken me too. They thought I wouldn't survive and they left me."

"Who was leading them?" I ask. But I already knew the answer.

"An ugly rat and two fox warriors that looked very similar to you...just not as merciful as you. Why? Do you know them?" Captain asks.

"No reason. What did they want with everyone else?" I say. I can feel my anger boiling up inside me.

"I'm not sure, I never heard them say." Captain replies. "Essix there's something you're not telling me. So spit it out."

I hesitate. Captain can read me better than anyone. It's uncanny.

I sigh. "They are the ones who kidnapped me and Tiny. They experimented on me and wanted to use me for their war machine puppet."

"Hmm...so they found a fragment of the Psyche crystal. They truly do possess evil intentions. That crystal was sealed away for a reason long ago." Captain says darkly.

I sit there deep in thought for a few minutes, then I spoke "Did they say anything to any of you that would tell us what they wanted?"

Captain closes his eyes deep in thought. "Yes. The ugly rat kept asking us if we knew where Onyx was."

"Onyx? Isn't she just a legend?" Star huffs.

Captain gave a small laugh "Oh silly children. She's not a legend."

"She's not?" Tiny asks.

"Oh yes. In fact, she's very close to us right now." All of us give Captain confused looks. We look up the wall with Onyx painted on it larger than life.

"You mean the painting?" Star asks. "If that's what you're talking about then I can totally see it."

Captain turns serious. "Hush child your insolence can be heard all the way to mount Orea!"

Star shrinks back and remains quiet.

Captain fixes his gaze on us and continues "I'm telling the truth. Onyx is a real living being."

"Alright. So what do they want with Onyx?" I ask while crossing my arms.

"They want her for her strength and ancient power. Mainly if I had to guess for her ability to open a portal to the Nightmare dimension." Captain replies.

"Where do we find her? We don't need that power getting into the wrong hands!" Star demands.

Captain laughs.

What's so funny about that?" I ask.

"Because you don't know!" Captain's expression turns serious "Essix, you don't need to find Onyx because you are Onyx."

~~~~~~~~~

What up my fellow readers?!

HAPPY EASTER!!!

I hope you guys are enjoying your Easter!! Just remember the real reason for this holiday 😉

I hope you guys enjoyed the big plot twist/ cliffhanger ending. I hope me being evil doesn't drive you guys away. 😏

As usual please vote and comment!! I hope you all enjoyed!!

Love you guys!! 😘

------ScarletApollo99 :)