Chapter 21

We run as fast as we can to get away from the giant Scavenger. Once we feel like we've put enough distance between it and us it, we all collapse from exhaustion.

"Is everyone ok?" Star asks exhausted.

"Yeah I think so." I reply tiredly.

"So what are you going to do about your sword?" She asks me.

"Oh yeah...haven't thought about that." I say while looking down at my feet.

It never occurred to me that I'd probably never get that sword back. Erin trusted new with that sword. And I threw it into a Scavenger's eye. Great job Essix. This is why we can't have nice things.

"Don't worry Essix we'll find you a new sword." Tiny says reassuringly.

I see a faint gold shimmer coming from my sword's holster. I reach down and to my surprise, my sword is sitting there in the holster!

"Oh...never mind then." I say awkwardly.

I glance over at Tiny "Uh Tiny, your tail is smoking."

"WHAT?!" Tiny twists around to look at his tail "Aww man!!" There is a place on his tail where acid had burned a small patch of fur off. "It's going to take that forever to grow back!!"

I tried to contain my laughter "Cheer up kid, I'm sure no one'll notice."

"Easy for you to say..." Tiny mumbles grumpily.

Star is eyeing my sword. "Where exactly did you say your home is?" She asks.

"It's a village on the outskirts of the Jade Desert and the Great Marsh." I reply.

"You mean your village is the Forgotten Village?" Star asks.

"Yeah, it's home to the-"

"Fox Warriors." Star finishes my sentence.

"Uh...yeah...How do you know so much about where I'm from and why do you care? I mean it's called the Forgotten Village for a reason." I say suspiciously.

"Your sword. It's called Sunfall right?" Star asks.

"Yeah...what's with all these questions? You're making me feel paranoid." I reply even more suspicious now than before.

Star looks down and I can see something in her gaze. Pain? Happiness maybe? Or is it grief?

"I might as well have been to that place." Star says quietly.

"I thought you said you lived in the forest most of your life?" Tiny asks.

"I have mostly, but one day I happened upon a charming fox warrior in the forest. I believe he said his name was Erin." Star says. Her voice sounded distant like she is miles away.

"You knew Erin?!" I exclaimed.

"Yes. He was quite stubborn and hard headed. Played the tough guy act a lot...but deep down he was a softy. Really sweet kind hearted kind of fox." Star replies with a smile that was full of fond memories.

"Ooh how did you meet him?!" Tiny asks with an excited bounce.

Star props herself up on a log. "One day I was walking through the forest. I came upon a badly injured fox warrior. He had several nasty gashes and a few broken bones. He looked almost dead. I thought he was until he rasped for help. I took him back to my cave to treat his injuries. It was about 6 months before he regained all his strength and his bones healed. Eventually we became close friends. He said he was going to take me to see where he was from. But while we were going there we got caught in a terrible storm and we were separated...I never saw him again."

Star stops and looks down. A brief flash of grief passes across her face. "You're his brother and sister aren't you?"

Me and Tiny nod. Unsure of what to say after that story.

Star's face lights up with hope. "How is Erin?"

Tears begin to cloud my eyes and Tiny buries his head in my chest.

Star notices our sudden change from content to sorrow. Her expression of hopefulness fades and she quickly turns around. "Never mind. Let's keep moving it's almost dark."

She gets up and walks off a little ways into the trees. I can see she's trying to hold back tears. It's not always something you can hide.

"Star wait!" I call after her.

She ignores me and keeps walking.

"What do we do now?" Tiny asks concerned.

"We go after her I guess." I reply.

~~~~~~~~~

Hey peoples what up?!

Yeah another chapter!! I hope it was good and that you enjoyed reading it!!

See ya!!

------ScarletApollo99 😁