Chapter 23

"I see it Essix I see it!!" Tiny exclaims excitedly.

Down below us there is a large dark colored stone. To anyone else it would just be a regular rock but this isn't just any stone. This is the Onyx Stone. It's the marker for my village that's named after a legendary warrior who long ago protected our village from invaders. Wow, that was A mouthful!!

"We're almost there!!" I say relieved. They wouldn't know it because I'm hiding it, but I'm probably the most excited to go home.

"Maybe we should land and continue on foot instead of air travel." Star suggests.

"Why?" Tiny asks impatiently "Won't we get there faster in the air?"

"I sense something up ahead that's disturbing me is all." Star replies nervously.

I glance over at Star and I can tell she is uneasy. Her whole body posture is rigid like she's on the defensive.

"Maybe we should do what Star says and land." I say.

"You're agreeing with her for once? That's shocking." Tiny says.

"Well if we flew into the village who's not to say that they won't think we're those "Angels of Death" that have been around lately?" I challenge.

"Hmm yeah...I guess you're right. If we walked in on foot it would seem more like us." Tiny says thoughtfully.

"I believe that would be the smart decision little buddy." Star says in agreement.

We all descend and land by the Onyx Stone and a few minutes later we set out on foot towards my village. I still feel like someone is watching me for some odd reason.

I look over at Star. "Do you feel that?"

Star is looking around warily. Her fur is standing up and she is tensed, ready to spring. "If you're talking about that strange eerie feeling in the air then yes. I don't like it at all Essix. Something isn't right up ahead." She says quietly.

That confirms my inner thoughts. At least I'm not the only one who feels on edge.

The only one excited and upbeat was Tiny. He keeps bouncing up and down with excitement as he's walking along in front of me and Star. I wish I could be so carefree right now. Finally after walking the last stretch through the outskirts of the village we come to the hill that marks the top of the town and look over.

Over the hill I expected to see the usual village life, but what I see is the complete opposite.

"Everything's...gone." I mutter with a mix of shock and sadness.

In front of us stands the ruins of my village. All of the buildings are leveled or are falling apart except for the school and the Temple of Warriors. The village gates have been smashed in like something or someone rammed through them. The surrounding walls have been virtually rendered useless by the gaping holes in them.

"What happened here?" Star asks quietly.

Tiny runs over to a pile of rubble that was once a building of some sort. "Hey guys, I think someone's trapped under here!"

I go over to where Tiny is.

Sure enough under the rubble a weak voice calls out "Help, somebody please help me!"

I survey the pile of rocks "How are we going to find them in all of these rocks?"

"Perhaps I can lend some assistance." Star steps forward and places both of her paws on the rock pile and closes her eyes. A few seconds later she points to a spot "There, I sensed him in that area."

"Pretty cool use of your psychic powers." I say impressed.

Star looks surprised by my sudden compliment. "Oh um, Thanks."

We begin to dig through the rocks, but the more rocks we move it seems as though 50 take its place.

"This is taking forever!" Tiny says.

Star hefts a big rock out of the way "You can't give up now we're almost there!"

"That's what you said about a million rocks ago" I mumble under my breath.

"What was that?" Star asks me with her eyes narrowed.

"Umm...these rocks are heavy." I reply quickly while lifting another rock out of the way.

"That's what I thought you said. Now let's keep digging. We're really close now, I can feel it!" Star says.
~~~~~~~

Hello fellow readers!!

How's it going guys? I hope you enjoyed the chapter again I worked hard on it!! I apologize for it being short 😅

As always please vote and comment and I'll catch you guys later!!

-----ScarletApollo99 😆