Enter Mega Therion - A Short Story by @JeffreyVonHauger

Enter Mega Therion

By Jeffrey Von Hauger

All Rights Reserved 2017

THE BRICK, memory bank.02 entry 4379: Planetary Observations

Category: Rogue Societies

Sub-file: Vedma Invasion of Mega Therion

Background

Seven hundred years ago the forest planet Mega Therion went into a period of massive volcanic eruption. A third of the planet was destroyed. The dominant species was a large land mammal, Canis lupus, a wolf creature the size of a grizzly bear with elongated lion-esque jaws. The wolves populated the planet and had evolved into a very primitive hunter gatherer civilization.

Their legends told of a creation Myth. Three sisters, marked by three bright stars in the sky, came to Mega Therion. They were the daughters of the suns and they came to give birth to their children, the wolves. They were at once known as the mothers to all and the creators of the planet. The wolves carved life sized statues of them and stood them like totems in their makeshift villages.

When the eruptions started the great herds of tusked elk ran north to safety. The wolves followed. The next hundred years the planet sunk into a nuclear winter. Ninety percent of the herd died out and the wolf population plummeted with them. When the first summer finally returned, it brought light back to the last living section of the planet on the northern continent. And with the summer came the clear star filled nights of old. And in the night the comet approached.

The comet legend tells how the great goddesses came from the sky and brought the Mega Therions the gift of a galactic language. They spoke it mixed with the growly slang of their ancient gruff tongue. The sisters revealed their names and granted the wolves strength and the ability to walk on their hind legs. Modern day Mega Therions stand 3 meters tall and are muscular, vicious werewolf looking creatures.

The Morning Star is an interstellar body that orbits six systems every 600 years. It remained in the system and was visible from the planet's surface for sixty days. The wolves, looking up to the night sky, saw this as a sign. The massive spacecraft that arrived with it was seen by all, but would be remembered by none.

The Vedma were a galactic witch cult that followed the comet around the galaxy. They terrorized the locals of some worlds and ignored others completely. They had a reputation as both religious figures and pirates. Spacefaring societies generally ignored them. They were mysterious and unknown. Many believers made a pilgrimage to their ship, never to return.

Varan unofficial report: the Morning Star comet and the Vedma

Ship: THE MAGUS, 100 deck deep space cruiser, unknown ancient design

Crew: Vedma, genetic species unknown, compliment unknown

Language: Unknown

Home world: THE MORNING STAR, rogue comet?

Initial observations revealed a ship constructed of black metal and covered in hundreds of smaller ships that looked like spikes. It follows the orbit of the comet and uses it as a base of operation. An interstellar religion has spawned from their circular journey. The craft is known in several cultures and the followers of the Vedma cult worship the three beautiful goddesses aboard. They have been reported to be of many different species, and always the same as the species reporting. It is clearly a generational ship and survives by pirating.