8. I'm Right Here

"Annie?" I hear someone whisper to me.

"Shut up!" A man yells.

I am thrown to the ground and I struggle to move. My body is sore, I can barely open my eyes. The slightest movement makes my whole body sting.

I hear Cody yell in pain and I force my eyes open. I see him on the ground getting kicked and punched.

"Leave.......him alone." I say with all my strength.

One of the men walks to me and grabs my hair. He lifts me off the ground and I grunt in pain.

"What did you say, little girl?" He asks.

"Leave him alone." I say again.

The man punches my stomach and I cry out in pain.

"Annie!" Cody yells.

"Not another word out of you!" The man beating Cody up yells.

The man holding me drops me and I collapse onto the ground. I am kicked into a cell and Cody is dragged to the one next to me. The men leave and I hear Cody coughing.

"Are you okay?" I hear him ask.

"What do you think?" I say sarcastically.

He chuckles but then coughs after. A silence falls and I finally sit up. I lean against a wall and hear shuffling on the other side.

"Cody?" I ask.

"Yeah?" He responds.

"Why is your hair so blond?" I ask trying to lighten the mood.

"Why are you so questiony?" He asks.

"Questiony isn't a real word." I say.

"Sure it is." He chuckles.

I giggle and put my forehead on the wall. I start to cry but keep it silent. I hear a sniffle from Cody.

"Are you crying?" I ask shocked.

"Pain crying." He says.

"You? Pain crying?" I raise an eyebrow.

"Fine." He lets out a breath, "There is no way I'm getting out of this alive."

"Yes, you are." I say.

"No, there is no way. John wants me dead and now that he has me like this, he is going to come soon and end everything." He explains, "You have to promise that you won't do anything when he comes."

"Not help you? That's not happening." I growl.

"Please." His voice cracked.

I started to cry and I put my hand on the wall.

"I don't want to lose you." I say.

"I'm right here, and I will never leave." He says.

I could feel him right on the other side of the wall, I could see him in my head.

I hear a door open and I look through the bars of the cell. John came walking down the hallway. He had a gun on his belt and five different knives. He walks to Cody's cell and pulls out his gun.