The New Kids [Ch3, P2]

Chapter Three: THE NEW KIDS

Junior isn't sleeping when I wake up he is sitting on the side of the bed putting his football boots on.

"Junior?"

"Yes sleeping beauty" I can hear the sarcasm in his voice.

"What time is it?"

"6.30. Breakfast is downstairs, we'll eat on the way. Footy Training starts at 7.15."

I sit up quickly holding the sheet around my still naked top half.

"Clothes" I say, hand outstretched, eyes half open.

Junior throws me my bra and places his clean, pressed sports uniform on the bed.

"Wear mine" he says as he folds my uniform from yesterday and puts it in my bag.

I slip my bra on under the sheets and hop out of bed. I rummage through my bag for deodorant whilst stuffing my pjs into the bottom. I get dressed and walk into the bathroom to do my hair where I find Tom sleepily brushing his teeth. When I'm done I walk back into Junior's room to find him waiting for me. We grab our bags and breakfast, say goodbye to Tom, Dianna and Oscar and begin our walk to Rosewood High.

Once at the gate we catch up with Chad.

"Nice uniform Jay, a little big is it"

"Just a little, but what do you expect Junior isn't small," I say as Chad breaks into laughter.

"Oh shut up," Junior says. It is then we notice the new kids from the dog park are behind us.

"Hey! Junior isn't it. When do tryouts start?" Katie says running to catch up.

"Cheerleading is at lunch time today and football team is this morning." Junior says without turning around.

"Who's that?" Chad whispered in my ear.

"New kids, they were at the dog park yesterday, without a dog."

"Weird,"

The three of us followed by Katie and Matt make our way to the oval. I sit in the grandstand and watch the first fifteen minutes of training before Ellie arrives. Ellie joins me in our usual spot just as the Couch blows the whistle for tryouts. I look curiously down at Katie and Matt and notice that it is Katie who walks out onto the field with the guys. Matt however comes to sit next to Ellie.

"Hi I'm Matt," he says hand outstretched to Ellie.

"I'm Ellie and this is Jay," Ellie says shaking hands with him.

"Yeah we've met," I comment trying to change the subject. "So why aren't you out there trying out?"

"Football has always been Katie's thing," he answers casually.

The three of us look back to the oval where Chad, Junior and Mike are watching the new eager tryouts. My focus turns to Katie who is faster and smaller than any of the boys.

"So Matt where'd you and Katie move from?" I ask trying to start conversation.

"Hobart"

"Oh, cool. I have always wanted to go there" Ellie says excitedly.

Tryouts continue slowly until the eight fifteen warning bell rings.

Thanks for reading! Don't forget to vote and comment!