Chapter 2.1: Getting Paid, Dodging Rent, and Drinking

Note from the author: A new weapon and two new characters have been added to the guides. I've also begun adding the song(s) that inspire me for that particular chapter. Most contain explicit content. Enjoy!

||||||||||

Part 1

||||||||||

The courtyard is quiet. A little too quiet. Unlike the rest of Malor, with its ever-present sewer aroma, here you can literally stop and smell the roses. The high, immaculately trimmed hedges tower above me, their spotted flowers peering down at me. Crickets chirp, the wind whistles, guard dogs bark incessantly. Oh, to be rich.

I pick my way through the maze of hedge animals, careful not to trip over the chains of guard dogs, which are practically frothing at the mouth. Down boys, I'm not that delicious, trust me. I leave dirty boot prints with each stair I mount. My eyes flick around in the low light, absorbing the details of the mansion. Spotless marble columns support the gilded overhang. The intricately carved golden door reflects the lantern light, shining in the darkness.

I take a deep breath, stuffing the second half of the map deeper in my pocket. What Midas doesn't know won't hurt him. Probably.

I slam the metal knocker against the door several times and step back. Gods, I want, I need, to shower. You can never really wash the stink of the city off, but you sure as hell can try. I absentmindedly try to smooth out my hair, fingers twitching. What I would give to have my kusarigama right now-the feel of cheap wood in my palms, shoddily welded chains brushing the fabric of my pants; oh baby.

"Yes?" The door cracks open, warm light streaming from inside. Is that...pastries I smell? My mouth salivates and I take a deep sniff through my nose. Oh yeah, that's definitely warm, fluffy, delicious—

"Can I help you?" I clear my throat, eyes flicking up and down along the seam of the door.

"You're not Midas," The single blue eye peering through the door narrows and I hear a sharp hiss.

"How very astute. Now, if that will be all—" Before the door can close, I stick my boot in, wincing when the metal slams against my foot. The same foot I stubbed on shrapnel earlier. This day, this damn day, I tell you.

"Actually, I need to speak to Midas." I flash a smile, which gets no reaction. Odd, most people give in when they see me smile. Oh wait. Mask. Right. I wave the first half of the map near the man's hooked nose. "It's urgent."

There's an audibly resigned sigh, and the door opens wider. He's tall, gaunt, sporting a tailored tuxedo. And, is that...oh you can't be serious. Just kill me now.

"Sir," He turns, light flashing on his monocle. A monocle by gods! I've seen it all. "There's a dirty street rat here to see you."

"That's mister dirty street rat to you," I mutter, crossing the threshold.

"What does he look like?" The butler's arm comes down like a fallen tree branch, stopping me from crossing any further than the richly woven Tempraran rug in the entryway. I bet it's soft.

"He..." The butler looks at me, lips curling in disdain. "Wears a Kitsune mask, sir. It's probably fake."

"It's not!" I snap, pushing past his arm. It has been a long day, and I don't have time for this. A gloved hand claps down on my shoulder. I spin, grabbing his wrist and twisting. "Move it or lose it," I whisper. He hisses out a long breath, then jerks. I hear a sickening pop as his hand dislocates and he sweeps me to the ground. A push dagger is placed against my throat, his greased silver hair framing the veins bulging in his forehead.