Chapter 19.4: Ismar Trading Co.

Part 4

|||||||||

A. Break through the door and take the boss by surprise.

B. Don a disguise and assassinate the boss.

C. ...leave?

The possible options swirl in my head and leave me paralyzed in front of the boss's door. Behind that thick piece of wood, I have the possibility of putting an end to the Ismar Trading Co. There are so many ways I can do this, and they all have their consequences. What's the safest method? Which one gets me the best reward? Will I sleep with Jo-Ri or Alarice Crusoe? All valid questions.

(just do it already!) Now isn't the time to be impatient! (but breaking into a casino was? or taking an adolescent boy into the dream realm? you are impatience, little god) What...what did you just say? (...) Little...little god? Oh hell. I'm not going crazy, I'm poss-

The door swings open and nearly smacks me in the face.

"Oh I'm sorry!" a small man in a tidy suit apologizes. He freezes when he sees the blood on my clothes, and the weapon tucked through my belt. "Intru-" he begins to shout before I cover his mouth. But it's already too late.

"Ow! Son of a bitch!" I hiss and yank my hand away. The little bastard bit me. I kick him hard in the groin, dropping him into a low crouch. I grab him by his greasy hair and slam his head against the doorframe. He crumples and I step over his body, flicking imaginary lint off my shoulder. I guess this is how we're doing it.

(devour him) I shake my head and try to focus on the room in front of me, but my vision swims out of focus. (taste his flesh and grow in power) Shut up! (consume and ki-) I rub my temples furiously and try to block out the voice in my head. Searing needles of pain splinter apart though my neck and the base of my skull. I gasp out and drop onto my hands and knees. Something clicks underneath my palm; oh hell.

I scramble to my feet, but a blinding burst of venomous pain slams into the front of my skull. It feels like rage has taken physical form, and is trying to split me apart by the seams. I cry out and stumble. There's a flash of heat behind me, and I'm tossed like a ragdoll against a wall. I slam into it, my ears ringing. Blood wells up in my mouth and trickles down my nose. Dark boots enter my field of vision. My bones refuse to budge.

"Can he...just great...sure." A low voice slurs in and out of my conscious, occasionally peeking past the ringing in my ears. Something hard slams into my side, and my lungs threaten to collapse. I roll onto my back and blink several times. Glowing walls of magical sigils encompass me in a circle, and I can feel the energy on my bruised skin.

From across the room, I spot a hairy man behind a thick wall of glass and metal, glowing with runes. Different spikes, pendulums, trapdoors, and various sharp implements litter the room. Shock pads and fire-spitters adorn the walls and floor. I even catch a glimpse of a few purple tentacles slipping out of sight. What is it with this city and tentacles?

"What?...Wrong idea..." I gasp out past the fiery razors of pain that scrape against my throat with every word. The ringing in my ears has subsided to a tolerable level, but the spasms and blistering agony blooming across my entire being has not. Unfortunately.

"It worked!" the hairy man shouts with glee. He rubbed his hands together with wild eyes. "It actually worked. I told them I wasn't going to end up like Corval. But none of them believed me! Well that will show them," he exclaims. He runs a hand through hair that's as black as my heart; a stark contrast to his pristine suit. Why don't you step on the other side of that blast shield and we'll see how clean your suit stays, pal.