Chapter 19.3: Ismar Trading Co.

Part 3

|||||||||

"I suppose introductions are in order," she says with a dismissive flick of her wrist. I feel the bonds disappear from my throat and mouth. Hopefully, that means I get to live. "My name is Jo-Ri," she says, coming to a halt in front of me. "And you are?"

"Look up!" I shout. She tilts her head up, and I take that moment to spit as hard as I can in the gap of her glasses. And just like that, I'm falling onto my face. Now, for the fun part.

I land hard on my shoulder and hiss out in pain. C'mon Namonai, don't be a little bitch here. (if you do well, maybe you can take a nice long bath) I...don't own a bathtub. (does it have to be yours?) Fair point.

I quickly scramble to my feet and tackle Jo-Ri around her shins. She crumples underneath me and I scramble up her. I begin to wrap the chain of my kusarigama around her throat, but her invisible magic yanks me off by my waist. I hate fighting what I can't see. (keep her distracted; she can't use her magic if she's not focused. then you can devour her insides and feast on her freshly peeled pretty hazel eyes) I could go for something juicy—I was thinking grapes. Eyes work too I suppose.

My back cracks against a desk, but fortunately the cheap wood breaks before I do. I desperately throw the blade of my weapon out. It cuts across one of Jo-Ri's calves, and my bonds immediately disappear.

I leap over a desk and stumble over one of the guard's bodies. The ground rushes up to meet me, and I barely keep myself from face-planting. I turn my stumble into a roll and come to a stop in a crouch, attempting to sweep Jo-Ri's ankles. She quickly steps back and I lunge forward, grabbing her by her expensive belt. I yank hard, and she crashes over a desk, rolling backwards into the wall. I scoop my kusarigama up and level the worn blade at her face.

(what are you doing? end her and—) Feast on her insides, yes, I got it. (what are you waiting for?) To be honest, I don't know why I'm even fighting her. She's just doing her job after all.

"You're one hell of a security guard," I gasp out. She frowns up at me from behind her glasses. Her eyes are scrutinizing every inch of me and the dim office; I can almost hear the gears whirring inside her head.

"I'm an accountant," she corrects. Despite her heaving chest and flared nostrils, her voice is level.

"An accountant, huh?" That could be...useful. (what are you doing?) Maybe I've been listening to the wrong voice inside my head. You know, the psychotic one. Because there's this other little voice in my head that says I'm in a lot of debt with a lot of scary people, and having somebody around who knows how to deal with money could be really handy.

A sharp pain pierces through my head and I wince, scrunching my eyes behind my mask. Son of a bitch! You goddam asshole! As soon as this is over, I need to get my head checked. Didn't Jo-Ri say she had a doctor? Let's add that to the list.

"The answer is yes," she says. The accountant stands, heedless of the apparent danger she's in. She straightens her suit and readjusts her glasses. Jo-Ri looks around the office and sighs. "I need a new job anyway."

"You don't even know what I was going to ask," I say and sheathe my weapon.

She gives me a small smile. "I knew before you did." She begins to walk away and I call out.

"Wait!" She pauses for the briefest moment. "There's a tall woman running around here evacuating employees. The thing is, I'm planning to blow up the building." The only change in Jo-Ri is a slight widening of the pupils for a split second. The girl is an absolute processing machine. With those legs, I bet she's pretty good at processing other things as well.

"And?" Ooh, we got a regular ice queen here. I've actually met an ice queen before; she rode a polar bear, and had a thing with lions. Never trust somebody that's into animals.

"And, she could use all the help you can give. You know the building better than she does. The plan was to meet in the lobby; I'd start there." Jo-Ri thinks for a moment, then nods. She starts to walk away when I call out again.

"What?" she asks exasperated.

"Where's the boss's office?" I ask. She narrows her eyes and they nearly turn to slits.

"Why?"

I finger the chipped blade of my kusarigama, grinning under my mask. "Oh...no reason."

||||||||||

Inspired by: "In Napalm" by Avatar

Got some real sicko thoughts from the voice inside Namonai's head, which he finally addresses. Also, possible introduction of a second good voice? Who knows? I do! Also, I'm picturing having two little Namonai's on his shoulder, one with angel wings and one in a little devil suit, giving him advice. Kind of like Kronk in Emperor's New Groove. Only with more swearing and urging cannibalism. 

Follow Me On:

https://www.facebook.com/noahbarfield.author

https://twitter.com/noahbarfield21

https://www.youtube.com/c/NoahBarfield

https://ark-storm.com

Like "Legend Land: Tale of the Nameless God"? Order the original "Legend Land" today!

http://ark-storm.com/shop/

Beta Readers/Editors:

Alyssa Clark

Elizabeth Foran

Mandy Barfield

Jordan Thacker

Raiden Jackson