Chapter 18.1: Crusoe

Part 1

||||||||||

"I still don't see why I had to come," I grumble, kicking a stone across the street. Esilea quickens her pace, pushing Icarus faster in his chair.

"Because," she says, satchel swinging, "if Icarus is having a secret meeting with Vioda and Alarice Crusoe, then we're all coming." She gives a pointed glare down at Icarus.

"It's not secret if everyone knows about it," he mumbles.

"What was that?" she demands.

"Nothing!" he says and adjusts in his chair. Esilea nods, and looks back at me.

"Where's Wikolia, by the way? She should be here." I gulp and rub my sweating palms on my pants.

"Um, she's busy. She had some...lizard assassin stuff to do." I shrink under Esilea's glare until she shrugs and looks down the road again.

"Whatever. She can do her own thing, but she shouldn't expect to be part of the team."

"Hey, that's not fair," I say, catching up to them. Especially since she's only absent because I put her on a mission.

"She's right, Namonai," Icarus says. He looks up to Esilea, and then to me. "You can't be a lone wolf and part of a pack."

"Don't talk about wolves," I snap, subconsciously tapping my Kitsune mask. I'm just glad Ghelly didn't ask why I was wearing the same mask as agents of Inari. I wonder if he even knows who Inari is? "Is that what we are though, a team?" (judging from the way they treat you like shit, it seems more like a fight with your hands tied behind your back)

Esilea shrugs. "It's either that or 'group of strangers who have been forced together by circumstances beyond their control'," she says.

"It's not nearly as catchy," Icarus chimes in. (or you're just a punching bag, and this is their excuse. they're using you) They wouldn't use me! I'm a nice guy! Well...pretty nice. Sometimes.

"All teams have a leader," I say. "And I'm assuming ours is—"

"Naiomi," Esilea says.

"Yeah, definitely Naiomi," Icarus says and nods in agreement.

"Don't say her name," I snap. (hit a soft spot there, did they? it's what people using you would do) "Besides, she's not even part of the team."

"All I'm saying is that Naiomi—"

"Don't say her name!" I snarl. That didn't feel like me. I run my hands through my hair and take them away, trembling. What's happening to me?

"Fine, sorry," Icarus mumbles. (serves him right) I can't help but agree. Is that awful? I pick up the pace, passing the dynamic duo in a flurry of dust and frustration. A team my ass.

||||||||||

Inspired by: "Fabuless" by Stone Sour

You guys wait nearly two months, and you get this short-ass piece of a chapter. And you love it. So who's worse here: you or me?

Follow Me On:

https://www.facebook.com/noahbarfield.author

https://twitter.com/noahbarfield21

https://www.youtube.com/c/NoahBarfield

https://ark-storm.com

Like "Legend Land: Tale of the Nameless God"? Order the original "Legend Land" today!

http://ark-storm.com/shop/

Beta Readers/Editors:

Alyssa Clark

Elizabeth Foran

Mandy Barfield

Jordan Thacker

Raiden Jackson