Chapter 4.2: The Routine

Part 2

||||||||||

"Mm, something smells delicious." I yawn as the morning light peeks in through the grimy windows and closed shades.

"Morning." Naiomi nearly snaps, reaching for a steaming hot mug while shoveling food into her mouth. She's not a morning person.

"It smells great. Which means you didn't fix it." I dodge the lazily thrown empty wooden bowl, but not the sucker punch that is Naiomi's glare.

"Icarus did." I nearly jump out of my pajamas at the sound of Esilea's voice, turning in her direction. I really wish people would stop sneaking up on me. Esilea straightens chairs around the table, frowning when she realizes there isn't a way to have even spacing with the number of chairs per table. I hope it bugs her all day. "He also fixed your squeaky doors, evened the bottoms of your stools and chairs, cleaned your dishes, organized your stores, and reinforced the locks on your doors." Well hot damn, I knew that kid was something special. Esilea throws me a hard glance, frowning before going back to her chairs. "He's sleeping now."

"Good," Naiomi sets her mug and wooden plate on Esilea's table. "That means you get to clean. Supplies are upstairs in the first room on your left." She flashes the warrior a sadistic smile at the base of the stairs. "Have fun." Esilea waits until Naiomi is gone before turning to me, leaning back against the table.

"That is a woman." Esilea says appreciatively and I nod, grabbing the last bowl of food, scooping down my throat as fast as I can. "Is she with anyone?"

"Nope," I mumble, swallowing painfully, chasing it with a glass of warm water. "But she's not seeing you, that's for sure."

"Don't be so sure." Esilea says with a grin.

"Naiomi doesn't really like...people." I reply, wiping food off my chin and licking it off. "I'm an obvious exception."

"You're not?..." She begins, looking down at her feet. I shake my head.

"No. She just doesn't stab me, unlike how she treats most others."

"She hasn't stabbed me."

"Yet." I reply with a small grin. Esilea frowns, eyes roaming over my face. For the first time, I think she's uncomfortable. Have I made the mighty warrior uncomfortable with my face? I...don't think that's something to brag about, though.

"So..." She scoops all the bowls and utensils up, pausing before she heads back into the kitchen. "What's with your face?" Esilea definitely isn't the tactful one out of the duo. I absently run a hand over the bandages covering the entirety of my face, save my eyes, with holes only for my lips and nostrils.

"I got burned." I reply, making my way into my room.

I hear the clatter of dishes through the thin walls, Esilea shouting to be heard. Not that she needs to.

"Really?" She asks as I shrug off my shirt.

"Yeah. Happened when I was a kid."

"How?" I begin slipping on a fresh pair of pants, yanking them up above my waist and cinching a belt across them.

"Parents always told me it was an accident." I frown, pulling a shirt over my unruly hair, careful of the bandages. "But they always looked real ashamed when they said it. Never really knew my mom," I slip socks on. "She left when I was still young. My dad was the best though." I smile, bandages twisting like snakes as I stuff my feet into sturdy boots. "I remember this one time, we were swimming, and he taught me about all the fish. Not just in that area. All of them. The man was a god." I slip my mask on, grabbing the map and a small pouch of gold. I make a mental note to stop by Baerus' shop as I step out of my room. Esilea's eyes meet mine through the window from the bar to the kitchen. "But, that's enough story time for today. Have fun. The grownups need to work."