Chapter 9.1: Luz Oscura

Part 1

||||||||||

"How have you been, Namonai?" I remain silent, leaned against the cold walls of Baerus' store. Khalil tuts, shaking his head. "Come, now. That's no way to treat an old friend." I squeeze my eyes shut for a moment; it's probably not a good idea to test Khalil. He's a patient djinn, but even the great renegade Ifrit, Khalil, has his limits.

"I've been working day and night, as usual," I reply. My eyes scan his face. I've never been able to read him; and this time yields the same results as before. He's always smiling—when he brings you a drink, when he takes your fingers, when he blesses your marriage. He's just a happy guy. Mostly.

"For Midas and Marinette, correct?"

I open my mouth to respond, but he cuts me off, "Word gets around, my friend. That's actually why I came to visit you."

"Aw, I thought you just wanted to see your old pal." Khalil's grip tightens on the jeweled top of his cane. I keep my arms by my side, hands loose. The rest of my body is tighter than a coiled spring. He laughs, and the tension dissolves out of the air instantly.

"Any excuse to visit you," he says. The djinn claps me on the shoulder and my knees buckle. "But, I've come for a favor." I raise an eyebrow behind the mask.

"A favor for the great Khalil?"

"More like a deal, actually," My heart sinks; damn. More jobs for people I don't really like. But if it pays well, I'll do it. I always do, don't I?

"Lay it on me," I say with a sigh.

"Report to me what Midas and Marinette have you do," My eyes widen and I suck in a breath. What? Khalil nods with understanding, like a father asking his child to do something difficult. "I know, it's scary. They're powerful, I realize this. But have you forgotten who I am?" He spreads his arms wide, displaying his bulk with pride. I remain silent; my flame-licked skin knows just how powerful he is. But that's not the point here. It's never just one deal with Khalil. There's always more.

He leans forward, his shadow completely swallowing my body. His face is the epitome of friendly concern. Oh, he's good. "I hear Naiomi has been having trouble with her landlord, Benson, I believe is his name. In exchange for your continuous information," He licks his lips, "I would be happy to have a...discussion with Benson about the treatment of his associates."

My eyes roam over Khalil. Despite everything, he's never lied to me, not once. And I know he has connections, which, for the record, are far better than mine. Mine consist of the rats in the sewer and the homeless in the streets. They don't exactly associate with high rollers like Benson. This could be the break I've been looking for. I can repay Naiomi and stop relying on Midas and Marinette for all my money. Talk about taking care of two birds with one stone. With any luck, Khalil and my employers will tear each other apart. I extend my hand; I need to make this work.

"Deal." Is my final answer. Khalil's grin grows even wider as he shakes my hand vigorously.

"Deal."

||||||||||

Inspired by: "Wake Up" by AWOLNATION

Your first non-metal chapter inspiration song. You're welcome everyone. Whadya think of Khalil? I'd love to know your thoughts on everyone's favorite perpetually-cold gangster.

Follow Me On:

https://www.facebook.com/noahbarfield.author

https://twitter.com/noahbarfield21

https://www.youtube.com/c/NoahBarfield

https://ark-storm.com

Like "Legend Land: Tale of the Nameless God"? Order the original "Legend Land" today!

http://ark-storm.com/shop/

Beta Readers/Editors:

Alyssa Clark

Elizabeth Foran

Mandy Barfield

Jordan Thacker

Raiden Jackson