Chapter 17.1: Under the Table

Part 1

Author's Note: This song isn't a metal song, feel free to enjoy some J-Rock everybody.

||||||||||

Suddenly, I can breathe again. I gasp, pulling air into my lungs faster than I can let it out. Oh gods, this feels so good! The bitter taste of salt mixed with the city, of wet dog and old food—I live for this. I turn to Ghelly, who jerks to consciousness a moment later. I laugh and hug him close as he coughs out his first few breaths of reality. Before I know it, he's returning the hug, gripping me tight. Ow! Ribs! And...ugh, everything. Everything hurts. But what's new?

Ghelly leans back on his hands, tossing his dark locks out of his face. "Son of a bitch," he gasps out with a smile. I couldn't have said it better myself. For a moment, we both sit there and listen to our labored breathing, and the soft ticking of the clock on the wall. Ghelly turns his attention to it and frowns. "We were in there for a week, but that clock says it's only been a few hours." He's about to ask Donyoku about it, until he sees the Baku is asleep, snoring softly.

I look down at the heart of Zargoth in my hands and grab a bag from one of Donyoku's dressers, slipping the heart inside. At least this wasn't all for nothing. I put an arm around Ghelly and turn him around.

"Let the Baku sleep, mate. He must be exhausted." I lead Ghelly out the door and lock it behind us, entering the street. "And a word of advice," I say, looking down at him. "Don't try to wrap your head around the Dream Realm. Sometimes you're in there for a month and it's only been a day. Sometimes you're there for an hour, and when you come out, all your friends have aged to dust." I snap my mouth shut to keep from saying anymore. Ghelly slips out from under my arm and looks down at the ground. Way to make it heavy, Namonai. I slap him on the back and he stumbles—I will never get tired of that. "But, you had some questions, right?"

"Yeah. So, um," Ghelly scratches the back of his head, "I'm still confused about some stuff. Like, what do you I call you?"

We skirt around a bickering old couple, rejoining on the other side of them. "You can call me Namonai."

"But what about the memory I saw? They were calling you something else." I sigh and straighten my mask. Kids, always so curious. I should give Ghelly to Esilea for a day, she likes kids. Okay, that sounded wrong.

"I was born as the god Hosuseri, son to Ninigi and Sakuya, brother to Hoderi and Hoori. But that's not who I am anymore. I've made a new name for myself." Literally. I look to Ghelly. "Next."

"Okay." Ghelly looks underwhelmed by my answer. "Why do you wear the mask?" he asks. I scratch my chin, thinking.

"Well, I mean, why does anyone do anything, really?"

"Namonai..."

"Fine." I hate being responsible and sticking to my word. It's so tedious. "I was burned at birth. Under this mask," I gesture with my hand to the mask I wear that marks me as an agent of Inari to the outside world, "I look like the child of an overripe tomato and a rotten egg yolk, if said child was burnt to shit and then dehydrated for a month by sea salt."

I look at Ghelly out of the corner of my eye to see him making a very revolted face. "That's sick!" he says. He leans forward and I pick up my pace, speaking before he can open his mouth.

"No, you can't see it."

"Alright, fine," he pouts. "Then," he rounds his shoulders as we pass some of Marazan's goons, "what's the deal with Donyoku? That shadow guy called him a 'Conductor'." I keep my eyes on the beast people until we're a safe distance. The Jungle is home, yeah, but more of a...filthy, crime-ridden, dangerous home that I half-hate. I still love it, though. Mostly.