Chapter 16.1: Cry of Death

Part 1

||||||||||

"Choose, little god." Mutovinatum's teeth clack in front of me. I gulp and motion to Donyoku with my head. Mutovinatum slinks back as I grip Donyoku's mane. Ghelly holds onto the other side.

"Are you sure about this?" Donyoku rumbles, looking at Mutovinatum. It disgusts me to let the shadow out, but sometimes stuff like this is necessary. But I can't, I can't, let him get back to Malor.

"Not in the slightest," I say, forcing a grin. "Grab on," I tell Mutovinatum, who eagerly clutches onto Donyoku's scaly body. After a moment of brief pressure, we're on the outside of the cage. Mutovinatum immediately lets go, his grin growing wider; if that's even possible.

He flexes his limbs. "Oh, it feels so good to be free." Zargoth notices us out of the corner of his eye and turns to us. His dark scales glow with the fire smoldering inside, his claws digging into the black earth.

"We let you out for a reason," I hiss to Mutovinatum. "Take care of it."

"Watch your tone," the shadow snaps. He turns his attention to Zargoth. "Hey there big fella! You'll do nicely."

Mutovinatum slips into nothingness, sliding as a mere shadow across the ground. Despite Zargoth's quick paws, he's unable to hit the dark blob. Mutovinatum slithers up and spreads himself out over one of Zargoth's limbs, squeezing like a constrictor. Zargoth opens his mouth and breaths a huge jet of flame. While his leg is unharmed, the shadow creature shrieks and skirts back, dark body smoldering.

"Donyoku, open a portal. Ghelly, protect him." I unsheathe my kusarigama while I bark my commands and grip my spear tighter. "I need to help a goddamn demon."

I send the blade of my weapon flying. It hooks into Mutovinatum and I yank him back out of harm's way, narrowly avoiding another jet of flame. I pull my blade out of his inky black body with a wet sucking noise. I doubt it hurt him...much. He turns to me and I hold up my hand—save it. I dive out of the way of Zargoth's paw and I see Mutovinatum leap at the dragon. It doesn't do much; the beast shakes him off and bats him like a cat swiping at a mouse.

I do my best to keep the huge lizard away from Donyoku, who is still struggling to open a portal. Good gods! At this rate, I'll be delicious barbecue before we get back to Malor! I slide underneath the belly of Zargoth, but neither my spear nor my kusarigama do any damage. Mutovinatum strikes again and again, looking for a chink in his armor, but can't seem to find an advantage.

Zargoth digs his claws into the earth and sends a large boulder crashing towards me. I duck underneath it, but the movement gives me an idea. I grab a large rock and hurl it as hard as I can at the giant lizard. When it makes impact, Zargoth roars in my direction; perfect. I send my spear flying towards his open jaws. Mutovinatum shoots out like a black dart, following the spear as a dark tendril. The spear embeds itself between one of Zargoth's teeth and his gums. Mutovinatum slinks along the spear and slips into the small wound. I hope I didn't just do something stupid.

||||||||||

Inspired by: "The Empty Hourglass" by Architects

So these parts are going to be shorter, just because my chapters have been longer recently. Don't want all of you getting spoiled. And I don't care if you listen to the song "The Empty Hourglass" in part 1, but you really need to listen to the song in part 2. The band, Architects, is a major inspiration for this whole story, and I suggest you listen to this in part 2.

Follow Me On:

https://www.facebook.com/noahbarfield.author

https://twitter.com/noahbarfield21

https://www.youtube.com/c/NoahBarfield

https://ark-storm.com

Like "Legend Land: Tale of the Nameless God"? Order the original "Legend Land" today!

http://ark-storm.com/shop/

Beta Readers/Editors:

Alyssa Clark

Elizabeth Foran

Mandy Barfield

Jordan Thacker

Raiden Jackson