Chapter 2

✴IT'S PIKE✴

"You know, I couldn't believe it when Ell told me who you are."

"Who am I, Captain Pike?" Jim asks, while finishing his, what Eleanor can only guess, is his...fifth beer?

"Your father's son.", Jim so not wanting to talk about this, just lifts his hand up to get another beer, "Can I get another one?".

Eleanor just stands behind her father looking at Jim, 'He's so smart, but he chooses to stay here?'. Every now and then Jim's eyes flicker back to her, wondering why Pike told her to stay, 'she's still just a cadet, so why is she so important?'

"For my dissertation, I was assigned the USS Kelvin. Something I admired about your dad, he didn't believe in no-win scenarios." Pike tells Jim, after noticing his glances at Ellie. He's not sure what to think about that just yet.

"Sure learned his lesson." Jim says cynically while taking the bloody tissues out of his nose.

"Well, it depends on how you define winning. You're here, aren't you?" Ellie says carefully, looking him straight in the eye. Looking up, Jim locks eyes with her, he probably would have looked all night, had the bartender not interrupted, setting the beer in front of him.

"Thanks" Jim says to, after getting his beer.

"You know, that instinct to leap without looking, that was his nature too, and in my opinion, it's something Starfleet's lost." Pike says. He sees his daughter has taken an interest in Jim, she's always been a good judge of character, and he also believes Jim could make a great audition to Starfleet.

"Why are you talking to me, man?" Jim asks so not in the mood for, whatever this is.

" 'Cause I had Ell look up your file while you were drooling on the floor." Pike says, gesturing to Eleanor behind him. "Your aptitude tests are off the charts, so what is it? You like being the only genius-level repeat offender in the midwest?"

"Maybe I love it."

" Look, so your dad dies. You can settle for less than an ordinary life. Or do you feel like you were meant for something better? Something special? Enlist in Starfleet."

"Enli-- (laughs) You guys must be way down in your recruiting quota for the month."

That disheartens Ellie a bit, she really did think it would be a good thing not only for him, but for Starfleet as well.

"If you're half the man your father was Jim, Starfleet could use you. You could be an officer in four years. You could have your own ship in eight. You understand what the Federation is, don't you? It's important. It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada." Pike says, now starting to get a bit frustrated.

"We done?" Jim said, not even looking Pike in the eye.

"I'm done. Riverside Shipyard. The shuttle for new recruits leaves tomorrow oh-eight hundred." Pike says getting out of his chair, he heads to the door, he stops and turns around, walks back to the table. Leaning in he says to Jim, "You know, your father was Captain of a starship for twelve minutes. He saved eight hundred lives, including your mother's. And yours. I dare you to do better." then leaves.

"Guess you never will get my major." Ellie says, kissing his cheek and leaves to follow her father.

"Oh, and it's Pike, my last name." Saying as she walks out not looking back.

AN: Sorry this ones so short