Chapter 7

✴Who was that pointy-eared bastard?✴

'This isn't good, not good at all.' Ellie thinks while she looks for Uhura, a Academy Hearing called just the day after Jim's test and that can't be a coincidence. "Ellie." She spots her best friend waving her over, it reminds her of them on the shuttle after the bar fight three years ago. Ellie made her way through the aisle and taking her seat next to Uhura, "What do you think this is about?" Uhura asks though she has an idea of what it is, "Jim." Elanor says with worry.

Uhura may never understand what her best friend sees in this guy 'There has to be something to gain Eleanor's affection though, I'm just not seeing it yet.'. Just as she was going to say something to try and comfort her the Hearing is starting.

"This session has been called to resolve a troubling matter." Barnett a member of the counsel says catching every ones attention.

Eleanor looks behind her making eye contact with her Father, seeing the apologetic and disappointment in his eyes she knows this may be worse then she had previously imagined.

"James T. Kirk, step forward."

Eleanor looks over at him, locking eyes, he also gives her a apologetic look. Getting up he straightens his uniform and makes his way to the podium at the bottom of the steps. "Cadet Kirk, evidence has been submitted to this council, suggesting that you violated the ethical code of conduct pursuant to Regulation One-Seven point three of the Starfleet Code. Is there anything you care to say before we begin, sir?" Barnett asks.

'Don't Jim, not with this.' Ellie hopes he won't ask to face his accuser, she knows exactly who it is, and she isn't sure if he can best him like he is able to do with most.

"Yes, I believe I have the right to face my accuser directly."

'Damn it James.'

"Step forward, please. This is Commander Spock. He's one of our most distinguished graduates. He's programmed the Kobayashi Maru exam for the last four years. Commander?"

A Vulcan in a grey Starfleet uniform stands up, walking to the podium with his hands clasped behind his back. Once there he turns his head to look at Jim, knowing him for some time you're able to see his emotions 'Sort of.' Ellie thinks she sees a slight smugness.

"Cadet Kirk, you somehow managed to install and activate a subroutine to the programming code, thereby changing the conditions of the test." Spock says not facing Jim while speaking. "Your point being?" Jim asks, already not really liking this guy.

"In academic vernacular, you cheated." Barnett states a bit louder then necessary, this causes the room to brake into whispers.

"Let me ask you something, I think we all know the answer to. The test itself is a cheat, isn't it? You programmed it to be unwinnable." Jim says also not looking at Spock while replaying.

'You really did miss the point, didn't you Jim.' Ellie thinks sadly.

"Your argument precludes the possibility of a no-win scenario." Spock argues back.

"I don't believe in no-win scenarios." Jim states with a half smirk, half smile looking back at Eleanor, only to see a very worried expression on her face.

"Then, not only did you violate the rules, you also failed to understand the principle lesson."

'I'm sorry Jim, but I have to agree with him on that.' Ellie thinks while looking at her hands that rest on her lap, seeing them as a better option to look at then Jim right now.