Chapter 12

Because I Know You, Better Then Anyone

Eleanor tries to focus on her work, hoping it will distract her from her worries, but she hears Spock say her name as he walks towards her, 'This should be good.' she thought. Bones enters the bridge, standing by Eleanor.

"You wanted to see me?" Bones asks.

"Yes, Doctor. I am aware that James Kirk is a friend of yours. I recognize that supporting me as you did must have been difficult." Spock said to both of them. 'Uhura your boyfriend's not making it easy for me to like him.' Eleanor thought still looking forward at her work station, not even glancing at Spock.

"Is that a thank you?" Bones asks, sarcastically, whether Spock got that, she didn't know.

"I am simply acknowledging your difficulties." Spock says back, in his monotone voice. Spock turns slightly to Eleanor, preparing to say something, but is cut off by her; "Don't Spock, just don't" she tells him, not even looking over her shoulder to address him. That seemed to be enough to get him to stop talking, or to her at least. Uhura has talked about her a lot, she also spoke of her temper. She's not really one to lash out, unless she's push over the line, and he thought it logical, to not provoke her.

Bones breaks him out of his thoughts, saying "Permission to speak freely, sir.".

"I welcome it.".

"Do you?" Bones says, with just enough sarcasm for Eleanor to pick up, she held back a snort, and kept her eyes on her screens.

"Okay, then. Are you out of your Vulcan mind? Are you making the logical choice, sending Kirk away? probably, but the right one? You know, back home we got a saying, "If you're gonna ride in the Kentucky Derby, you don't leave your prize stallion in the stable." Bones says, rather fast,  as he's probably been holding back on ranting and insulting "The Captain".

'You had to throw a metaphor in there didn't you Bones?' Eleanor thought.

"A curious metaphor, Doctor, as a stallion must first be broken before it can reach its potential." Spock replied. Eleanor's eye twitched, and she started to press the buttons on her screen a bit harder then necessary.

"My god, man. You could at least act like it was a hard decision." Bones says.

"I intend to assist in the effort to reestablish communication with Starfleet. However, if crew morale was better served by my roaming the halls weeping, I will gladly defer to your medical expertise. Excuse me." Spock says, walking over to his father, and leaving the bridge with him.

"Green-blooded hobgoblin" "Gonna rip the bangs off that elf one day." Bones and Eleanor say over the top of each other.

Making her smile slightly.

"Elf?" Bones asks, raising an eyebrow.

"He has pointy ears." She said, going back to work.

"Captain Spock, detecting unauthorized access to water turbine control board."Eleanor told him, but using an unamused voice when saying "Captain Spock".

"Bring up the video." she did as he said, putting the video up on the viewing screen.

Eleanor gives a silent gasp, mouth open slightly. 'Honestly I shouldn't be surprised, it's Jim.' She thought to herself.

"Security, seal the engineering deck. We have intruders in turbine section three. Set phasers to stun." Spock said through the intercoms, Eleanor clenches her fists, 'That's kinda my job, Spock, then again he probably knew I wouldn't have done it even if he asked me to.'.