Chapter 10

Didn't Your Mother Teach You It's Wrong To Hit A Lady?

"Captain, they're locking torpedoes." Spock tells Pike.

"Avert auxiliary power from port nacelles to forward shields." Pike tells his daughter, "Yes Captain!" she replies, and starts typing commands. She's just able to get finished, when they're hit, shaking the bridge, knocking the breath out of her and causing her to almost fall.

"Eleanor, status report." Pike asks her.

"Shields at thirty-two percent. Their weapons are powerful, sir." She says, catching her breath to continue, "We can't take another hit like that.".

"Get me Starfleet Command." Pike says, but is cut off by Spock. "Captain, the Romulan ship has lowered some kind of high energy pulse device into the Vulcan atmosphere. It's signal appears to be blocking our communications and transporter abilities.".

"All power to forward shields. Prepare to fire all weapons.".

"Yes, sir." Eleanor says under her breath, as she starts to give out orders to the officers in the weapons bay. All of a sudden, the attacks stop.

"Captain, we're being hailed." Uhura tells Pike. 'Why would they hail us?' Eleanor thinks, being left confused. They were brought up on the viewscreen, the romulan that appears on the screen, makes Eleanor uncomfortable.

"Hello." The Romulan says.

"I'm Captain Christopher Pike. To whom am I speaking." Pike says, in a calm and collected voice, as any Captain of a starship should have.

"Hi Christopher, I'm Nero.", the way Nero talks to her father unnerves Eleanor.

"You've declared war against the Federation. Withdraw. I'll agree to arrange a conference with Romulan leadership at a neutral location." Pike begins to say to Nero, only for him to cut Pike off.

"I do not speak for the Empire. We stand apart, as does your Vulcan crewmember, isn't that right, Spock?", this causes everyone on the bridge to turn and look at Spock, he steps forward, looking just as confused as everyone else.

"Pardon me, I do not believe that you and I are acquainted?" Spock replied.

"No, we're not. Not yet. Spock, there's something I would like you to see." Nero tells Spock, only confusing everyone more. 'What could he possibly mean by that?' Ellie thought.

"Captain Pike, your transporter has been disabled. As you can see by the rest of your armada, you have no choice. You will man a shuttle, come aboard the Narada, for negotiations. That is all." And with that, Nero disappears from the screen.

'No, he can't.' Ellie thought to herself, becoming very worried.

"He'll kill you, you know that." Jim says.

"Your survival is unlikely." Spock, though he wouldn't admit it, agrees with him.

Their words only succeed in scaring Ellie more. She stepped closer to her father, looking him in the eye, and whispering "Dad, you can't.".

"Captain, we gain nothing by diplomacy. Going over to that ship is a mistake." Jim continues. "I, too, agree. You should re-think your strategy." Spock said.

"I understand that. I need officers who have been trained in advanced hand-to-hand combat." Pike says to the entire bridge.

"I have training, sir." Sulu says, raising his hand.