Fear

(Chris' P.O.V)

I sat in my lounge sipping away at fresh cup of coffee, one of my few mortal enjoyments really, when my head butler entered almost silently. He cleared his throat and announced. "As you've requested sir, the Neko is awake and quite frightened at the moment." 

"Thank you Carter, she's still in the servant's quarters yes?"

"Of course sir, though given her panicked state we've been forced to restrain her."

"Very good Carter, thank you." He nodded before leaving me to finish my coffee, when I'd emptied my cup I set it on the side table and left for the servant's quarters. As I began the decent from the stair top I could just faintly hear a myriad of screams and pleas. As I continued down the cries became more clear. The voice, though shrill, sounded like that of a pleasant bell being rung. At last as I came to the door I was sure of the sweetness in the voice, the voice though still sweet carried the bitter sounds of absolute fear. I sighed as I entered the room, three worried maids turned to look at me. They seemed upset that they could not quiet her upon my arrival but I wasn't really expecting them to. I shooed them away with a wave of my hand and was left alone with a still squealing neko, her eyes were shut tight as she went along wither her caterwauling. I grumbled and growled out a simple but demanding. "Enough!" With the roar of my voice the girl fell silent and recoiled against the wall. She hid her face in her knees as she shook. I dared walk closer to the frightened thing hearing the quietest of whimpers, I knelt down to her level and whispered with as much kindness as I could muster. "Hush now girl, I mean you no harm..." The poor quivering thing looked over at me with the brightest of blue eyes. At a loss for words she merely gaped at me as she continued to shake in her place on the bed. "There is no need to be frightened so long as you tell me the truth my dear, now what is it you were doing up on my roof?" It took her a moment to summon her voice before she answered simply.

"Had to escape..." I cocked an eyebrow at her and inquired.

"From what where you trying to escape little one?" The girl looked over her shoulder as if expecting some monster to prance from the shadows if she dared to answer.

"...From Master... Then the dogs... They bit me and I bled... I climbed the wall and got dizzy... Then I fell... Now I am here..." By dogs I'm sure she meant wolves, they're quite prominent in this area and from the looks of it wanted an easy meal from the poor girl. I ran my fingers over my jawline in contemplation, her broken explanation made some sense given her wounds and the odd point of break in but I was curious. "Little one, my home is far from any one else. How long did you run?" She looked at me with her bold eyes and spoke again.

"Two days, Master left. Door was unlocked. I ran." 

"Do you remember what direction you came from?" The girl shook her head saying.

"Zig zagged too much..." I nodded and queried again.

"Do you know your master by any other name?" Again she shook her head. I heaved a sigh, whomever had kept her had honestly frightened her enough to risk running to her variable death so they could by no means have been a good one. I may be known for my harsh punishments but I've never frightened one so much as to leave... I sat on the corner of her bed and looked her in the eye saying kindly. "Do not fret little one, your master can not harm you here. From henceforth you belong to me, and I swear to take away the fear from those darling eyes of yours." I could now see the uncertainty draw on her face, she did not believe me. From what she's clearly endured I can understand that. I smiled softly at her and tried to pat her leg in a comforting way, but she winced and squeaked in pain. I withdrew my hand and asked.

"Forgive me, I did not see that your leg was injured."

"Broken..." She mumbled. "... From the fall..." I felt my heart drop, what monster could this poor thing have been running from? "Forgive me then little one I did not know. Now, when is the last time you ate?" She looked up for a moment before answering simply.

"I do not know... I was being punished for crying... Food was scarce." Actual meal restrictions? Not even I would do that! I gave her a soft look before I stood saying. "I will have a maid bring you some crackers, gingerale, and some soup. Please eat all that you can but don't force it." To my surprise the girl smiled, she clasped her hands together and bowed her head. "Thank you for gracing me with food and forgiveness... I owe you my life." I smiled sadly at her, what a broken little girl...