Flower Child

(Chris' P.O.V)

I took my little Gwendolyn out to the veranda around five o' clock and found she had such a fascination with nature. I carried her towards the edge of the forests and she began pointing out various plants and flowers that she knew about. Though I appreciated my landscape I'd never really bothered to ask what my gardeners had planted about or what wild flowers I allowed to grow on my property. She had such a vast knowledge that honestly surprised me, up until this point I'd figured I'd have to teach the poor girl how to read. At some point we came by a creek that ran past the back of my property and I heard her gasp, I looked to see what had surprised her and found she'd cast her gaze on some dark flowers that grew by the creek. "Sir, those are black calla lilies! They're my favorite!" The way she smiled at the odd flowers made my heart flutter, it was so odd such a simple thing could make her so happy but it was endearing none the less. I sat us down by the lovely blooms, her in my lap of course, and she immediately leaned forward and took in the scent of the flowers. In that moment I could see her eyes cloud over with nostalgia as they shut so delicately. I chuckled and asked. "Now why are these your favorite little one?" She giggled as she answered.

"My mummy used to pick these every Sunday morning for me, they'd sit there in the vase and watch over me through the week. She said they'd always look after me... But..." The smile fell from her face. "But... They didn't..." Suddenly a destitute look took over her features. She reached out and stroked the silky petals and sighed. "But not even mummy could keep me from him, how can I blame the flowers?" I realized then she was no recalling when she was taken by her previous master. I stroked her hair gently as I spoke. "Darling, the flowers may not have protected you but, I will..." A soft smile appeared on her lips.

"You won't let him take me back?" I hugged her tight.

"Not in a million years kitten." We sat there for a moment longer, surrounded by the bitter sweet smell of the lilies until I decided to continue our walk. She continued to point out the many plants around us, but her voice sounded slightly calmer. Even as I carried her, her muscles seemed to relax in my hold; no longer tense. As the sun set further against the sky I sat us down once more on a hill that overlooked the path that lead to the front doors of my manner. Around us grew several red poppies, as she informed me, and little angel drops. A small white flower that grew incessantly on my property. She collected a great many and weaved the stems into a small circle. In a few minutes she had a small flower crown that she turned and placed on my head. She smiled and clapped her hands and all I could do was laugh at her almost innocent action. I too began collecting flowers, trying my best to copy her weaving motion. I found it was much more difficult than it looked and came out with a much messier crown. I sighed as I looked at the mess, she merely ducked her head and rose so that it would be placed on her head. The smile she gave was a gleaming one that brought warmth to my heart. Her sweet antics were enough to bring out gentle laughter from me and a great many hugs. Sadly as the sun sunk below hills I was forced to bring back my little flower queen back inside. As I was about to turn toward the servant's quarters I froze. In a heartbeat I turned us around and headed upstairs. I saw the worried look dawn on her face and I was quick to explain. "Not to worry little one, I'm merely bringing you to a new room. You may make of it what you will and decorate it as you see fit." I brought her into a large room that incidentally, sat across from my own bedroom. It was all done up in red and gold but I figured that I might change the colors to greens and blues to better appease my little nature neko. I pulled back the blankets on the canopy bed and laid her underneath, being sure to leave her casted leg outside the heavy blankets. "S-sir th-this is too kind of you! It would not be right of me to accept..." I patted her head and said kindly. 

"Ah, but I am your new Master now. I am ordering you to take charge of this room and make it your own. Now, my room is right across the hall and if you ever need anything you must only call for me in your sweet voice. As for now I will have a maid bring up some more soup for you. Perhaps our little walk will have stirred up a bit of an appetite." I removed her flower crown and placed it on the bedside table. I kissed her temple as softly as I could manage and left my smiling little girl to enjoy the comforts of her new home.