Chapter Eighteen

~ Chapter Eighteen ~

It was still quiet in the room when Draco opened his eyes. The entire room was still covered in the shadows of darkness.

He let out a small yawn, his eyesight trying to adjust to his surroundings.

He didn’t know why but something didn't feel right. Something felt out of place.

Draco cast a glance on the still sleeping Hermione. She was frowning, even in her sleep she looked worried.

Without waking her up, Draco slipped out of the bed and made his way to the closed curtains.

It had to be morning by now.

He imagined how everything was looking on the other side of the window.

The path to the castle covered with a thin layer of ice.

The trees stripped from their beautiful leaves.

Perhaps a few students were taking a stroll outside, brave enough to face the cold morning of winter.

But Draco didn’t open the curtains to see if his imagination was reality. Instead he stepped away from the window, his eyes falling upon his small desk.

He frowned as he saw that pieces of parchment and a quill were laying in the middle of the desk.

The earlier feeling that had been forming in the pit of his stomach appeared again.

He felt restless with every step he took, his hand was reaching for the parchment that was laying a bit apart.

Black ink was placed neatly onto the parchment, forming words Draco didn’t wish to read.

He swallowed, his eyes were scanning every word carefully ; making sure that he didn’t miss a crucial element.

Who gave me Phanatasiac?

Draco slightly turned his head and caught a glimpse of Hermione ;who was still blissfully unaware of what was happening.

He should have known that she wouldn’t give up that easily.

Turning around, he focused his attention back to the notes. His heart was beating rapidly against his chest as he read everything that Hermione had written down.

The list started with several suggestions about where she thought that the potion had been secretly given to her.

Draco noticed that she had narrowed down the locations to the Great Hall Since that would be the perfect place to blend in with the crowd without causing a scene.

But it seemed that she hadn't really figured out the exact time when someone had given her the potion.

Further on the parchment, Hermione had written down ‘DRINK’ in big letters with a circle around it.

The bottom was reserved for a list with names. The list wasn’t very long but still, Draco knew almost every single person.

Blaise,Pansy, Daphne,Theodore...

All people that belonged to his own select group of friends.

 And then he saw it.

His name crossed out.

Draco felt how his face grew paler. His eyes stared at his own name. All right she ruled him out but somehow she had still thought about him when she'd written down her list of suspects.

Not able to look at the list any longer, he put it back down on the exact same spot he had found it.

His eyes wandered back towards Hermione and he nervously rubbed his temples.  He had to try and compose himself before she would wake up and notice that something was wrong.