3 | dance competition

3 | DANCE COMPETITION

Bitch I'm back... by popular demand.

The instrumentals to Calista's songs began to blare loudly in the vacant stadium. Calista and her dancers particularly stepped into line, staying put as the beginning of the song played.

I did not come to play, bitch.

Suddenly, the cue for the choreography to begin cut on and Calista moved to the beat.

It's time for you to pay.

Calista sang her verses to the empty crowd and danced in sync with her dancers. Every movement they made was perfect and completely exact. From every angle to every distance, all the dancers knew that they had to be perfect with their moves— or else they'd be cut and quickly replaced by someone else. Every dancer knew that there were thousands of more women willing to take their spot, so they didn't dare make a mistake in front of the queen herself. She hated that her fans called her a queen, but she understood that's how they expressed their admiration for her and her ideologies.

We say to girls: you can have ambition, but not too much. You should aim to be successful, but not too successful, otherwise you will threaten the man.

Calista mouthed along to the medley of her songs' preludes, that part being her favorite.

"I know when you were little girls—" Calista began to sing, but suddenly stopped. She had rehearsed that beginning line a million time, but it always seemed to take her by surprise when the band played astonishingly right after her voice.

"You dreamt of being in my world—" She stopped abruptly once again, letting the band to take over for a moment.

Then, the original version of the song began playing and Calista sang at the usual pace the song was recorded in. "Don't forget it, don't forget it. Respect that, bow down bitches." Calista sang the rest of the song, following the choreography perfectly along with her vocals. She hit the high and low note without a sweat and showed of her profound artistry.

Once the long and tiresome rehearsals were over, Penelope, Calista's long-time friend and manager, rushed over to her with a clipboard gripped in her hand. "If you want to make the party on time tonight, you have to leave in about," Penelope looked down at her watch, then widened her eyes, "now!" She exclaimed, pushing Calista towards the dressing room to get changed.

"I don't even know that I want to go..." Calista mumbled. Her arms and legs were sore. She just wanted to take a nap and rest.

Penelope scoffed. "It's not a choice. You have to make a public appearance soon. This is the perfect opportunity to do that. Especially since it's for Michael Jackson's Thriller release." Penelope informed as she slammed the door to the dressing room shut after the two entered it.

Calista sighed. "Fine, but if I'm hungover tomorrow—" Calista began to warn.

"Yeah, yeah. I won't nag you in the morning." Penelope finished for her, grabbing the dress she had purchased to Calista to wear and throwing it at Calista.

* * *

Calista was always the girl to call when you wanted to have a drink. She loved to party and let loose. So, when she arrived at Michael Jackson's party and noticed an open bar, of course she was going to drown herself in alcohol and sweat it all away by dancing.

Calista's vision was a blur. She couldn't see anything correctly nor recognize anyone's face, but she didn't care— she was having fun. Somehow, Calista managed to spot rough outlines of people's figures leaning against the wall. Calista being the party animal she was, pulled every person from their position on the wall to come and dance. She seemed to be the only one keeping the party vivid.

One of the many people she yanked out on the dance floor had quite a recognizable voice. When she realized who it was, she was distraught that he was one of the boring people standing against the wall. "The iconic, legendary Michael Jackson was standing against the wall instead of getting it down on the dance floor. Let's not forget to mention that its your party." Calista slurred every word she spoke as if her tongue was too big for her mouth.

"I don't know about all that..." Michael scratched the back of his head and chuckled. The two were mutuals and had chatted on multiple occasions before. They were always being seated next to each other at award shows and always ended up at the same party because of their statuses.

"You want a drink? You look like you need a drink." Calista handed him her drink as she hastily made her way to the bar, grabbed a drink and returned to Michael.

"I didn't even say I wanted one." Michael chuckled.

Calista shrugged. "Well, now you do." She handed him his drink and grabbed her drink back, taking a large gulp.

Michael took a small sip of his hard liquor and began to cough, feeling the burning sensation fall down his throat. "Awe, come on, keep up, Big Shot." Calista chuckled.

"I'm not usually one to drink." Michael admitted.

Calista rolled her eyes. "You're too proper, Mr. Jackson. Do you ever have fun, other than when you perform on stage?" Calista questioned.

Once Michael opened his mouth to respond, Calista shook her head. "I don't care. I just want to see what you got, hot stuff," Calista placed a skinny finger on his chest, "I challenge you to a dance competition."

Michael chuckled, scoffing. He brushed off the imaginary dust off his shoulders as if the completion would be easy. "Bring it on." He accepted her challenge.

Calista put her drink down, nodding curtly at Michael. "Alright, lets put on some good beats." Calista rushed over to the DJ and requested him to immediately change the song. The DJ accepted her request and changed the song to one of Michael's songs.

Calista shot Michael a smug look. "You sure you can beat me, this is my song after all... you can ask him to change it if you're feeling threatened..." Michael joked.

"Oh, whatever! I'm not even scared." Calista crossed her arms and gestured for Michael to begin.

The two battled it out on the dance floor, both throwing in their signature moves— but both ending up tying the competition among the voters in the crowd. For the rest of the night, no one was leaning against the walls or banisters, for everyone was out having fun dancing along to the good music.