10 | labor

10 | LABOR

It took a while, but Calista and Michael eventually made an agreement on how they would take care of the baby situation

It took a while, but Calista and Michael eventually made an agreement on how they would take care of the baby situation. Each of them would have the baby for two weeks of the month, and because their schedules clashed so much they would never be able to spend time as a trio with the baby.

When Penelope found out about Calista's bun in the oven, she was over the moon. She began to plan baby showers, hiring interior designers to build a nursery in Calista's home and did everything a best friend would do when they found out you were pregnant.

Soon enough, one months morphed into three, then four and so on and so forth. Next thing she knew, it was the summer of 1984 and Calista was feeling contractions in the middle of the night. She hadn't toured since her stomach began to show because she and Michael had agreed to reveal the baby to the world after her birth. They also agreed to find out the gender of the baby once he or she was born— which Calista regretting agreeing to.

The next day would be the first time Calista would have seen Michael in over eight months, and he was coining to see his baby be born for Calista was due the next day. Although she was expected for the next day, she was feeling horrible contractions the night before— as if the baby was screaming to escape the womb. Calista tried her best to stay calm to prevent the baby from slipping out a day early.

* * *

Calista managed to last another night without breaking her water, and as soon as she woke up, she had Penelope pick her up and take her to the hospital. Michael would arrive at the hospital soon enough. Calista couldn't wait any longer, her contractions were getting dangerously close together and she could feel her water on the verge of breaking.

The doctors and nurses rapidly settled Calista in her own hospital room, prepping her for when her water would break. As soon as the doctors were done stuffing IV drips into Calista's arms and connecting her to all types of technology in the room, Michael arrived.

He entered the room with an excited smile on his face. Calista weakly smiled at him in return. She looked extremely pale, for the pain she was enduring was excruciating. "How are you?" He was the first to speak.

"I'm alive aren't I?" Calista scoffed.

Michael nodded then took a seat next to Calista. Calista felt another contraction beginning to occur, and she gripped the rails of the hospital bed until her knuckles turned white. She groaned, gritting her teeth until the pain subsided.

Michael didn't know what to do so he scrambled to grabbed her hand for support. As soon as he did so, Calista gasped— looking out ahead of her. "Oh sorry, if you don't want me—"

"My water just broke." Calista announced.

Michael began to freak out. "Oh my god." He frantically ran to the door and yelled for help down the hall.

Suddenly, tons of doctors and nurses rushed into the room. Everything went by quickly, and the baby popped out with ease— leaving no time for Calista to even comprehend what was happening. As soon as the soft cry of a baby erupted in the room, the entire room cheered. "It's a girl!" Michael exclaimed, intertwining his hand with Calista's.

Calista sighed out in relief that the process went by fast. She smiled small up at Michael, then furrowed her brows. "What are we going to name her?"