16 | touring life

16 | TOURING LIFE

Calista hummed as she stirred the pot over the stove

Calista hummed as she stirred the pot over the stove. Her hips moved to the beat that she had created in her mind and emitted through her mouth. She itched to sing along to it, but had no lyrics that went with the beat written down yet.

Milani wandered up behind her mother and watched as she danced alone. She cocked her head and attempted to move along with her mother, but failed for she didn't have the same curvy figure her mother had. "Mommy, why do you dance so much?" Milani asked abruptly, pulling Calista out of her thoughts.

Before Calista could answer, Michael sped up behind Milani and picked her up, spinning her around. Milani fell into a fit of giggles until Michael put her back down. "Because, Mil, I am a slave to rhythm." Calista finally answered after the two finished goofing off.

Michael knitted his brows together, an idea forming in his mind. He hurried over to Calista and pressed a soft kiss to her cheek then scurried away. "I'll be right back, I have to write something down in the studio." He said as he left the room.

Calista beamed, glad to know that her addition of a studio in the house proved useful. "Mommy, why are we going to fly somewhere next week?" Milani loved to ask questions, but fortunately, Calista loved to answer them.

"Because Daddy and I are getting married." Calista replied, turning off the stove.

Milani stared blankly at her mother. "Why aren't you having a big party like the people on tv?" She asked.

"Because we don't want to."
"Why not?"
"Because it's too crazy."
"Why?"
"Because there's too many people."

The two continue to go back and forth for a good ten minutes as Calista served the dinner on the table. The chef had insisted on staying and helping Calista, but Calista told him to go home to his family that night. When Michael finally returned, they had just began to be seated at the table.

"I just got a call from my manager— I'm going on tour starting September, all the way through January..." Michael said with an apologetic smile.

Calista shrugged. They were getting married in a week, at the end of August, anyway so it wouldn't conflict with their plans. "We'll go with you. My album can wait." Calista shrugged.

Michael sucked in a breath through his teeth. "January of 1989..." He further explained.

Calista dropped her fork on her plate. "Over a year long tour?!" She exclaimed.

Michael nodded wearily. "Nope. We are not getting married just for you to leave the next day for an entire year!" Calista shook her head vehemently.

Milani began to cry and throw a fit. "I don't want you to go, Daddy!" She slammed her small fists on the table.

"I know, I know... you can come with me." Michael reasoned.

Calista clicked her tongue is distaste. "No, Penelope and I have a set date that the next album needs to come out. I need to have it done by then to still have momentum from Roses and Thorns." Calista shook her head.

"Then, Milani can come with me." Michael appeased Milani's crying.

Calista's eyes widened. "He— heck no!" She corrected herself before cursing in front of her daughter.

"Why not?" Michael argued.

"Because she's going to stay with her mother, in a stable environment. Not out flying everywhere around the world at these crazy concerts with these crazy fans that could hurt or even take her! Touring life is not a place for a baby!" Calista shouted.

Michael bit the inside of his cheek, realizing that what Calista had said was true. Calista got up and stormed out of the dining room without even finishing her meal.