Chapter 3

Today's the day. The day I have to leave Alani, and move to a stupid orphanage.

Mr. Ouakai brought me and Alani shopping earlier, as a little "gift". I was very thankful, but now, all I can think about is having to leave my best friend.

I slip a new pair of jean shorts, that have a ripped design, onto my olive-colored body. I pull a pink flowy shirt over my head and look in the bathroom mirror.

I have deep circles under my bright blue eyes, and my long black hair is a knotted mess.

" Noelani!" Alani calls, "are you ready?"

I sigh. "Yup!" I call back. I'm as ready as I'll ever be.

I grab my bag filled with my new clothes from Alani's room and slowly walk down the stairs. Mr. Ouakai and Alani are already by the door.

Alani's shoulder length hair is neatly brushed and she's wearing a nice blue dress that matches well with her chocolate brown eyes.

Mr. Ouakai is putting on his best fake smile when he see's Alani's Makuahine pull up in her car.

We all head outside, into the pale blue day.

A tall, tan woman with curly brown hair and deep brown eyes steps out of her car, staring coldly at us. She's dressed in a grey suit skirt, and it seems like her narrow eyes are staring deeply into my soul.

I shudder as she walks closer.

"Alani!" Her Makuahine calls. "Car! Now! I don't want to have to see your worthless excuse of a Makuakāne longer than I have to! And who is this skimpy piece of trash next to you!"

"Hey! She's my friend! Stop being rude and just wait in the car! I'll only be a minute!" Alani snaps back.

"Fine. But hurry up!" She storms back to her car and slams the door shut when she gets in it.

First Alani goes over to her father and talks to him for a while, shedding tears and sadness. I refrain myself from listening in, not wanting to be rude.

When she finishes I see Mr. Ouakai brush back his tangly short hair and wipe glittering tears from his hazel eyes.

Alani then walks over to me. "I'm sorry Lani, my Makuahine doesn't have a filter."

"That okay, Lani. I've met her before."

We both just stare at each other, not knowing what to say, or how to let go.

"You've been my best friend since kindergarten," Alani says, "and we've done everything together. I want you to know that you're my only true friend, no matter where I go. So I got you this." She puts a heart locket around my neck and whispers, "open it."

I slowly open the locket to see our faces right next to each other on each side, me on the left, and her on the right. We are both laughing in the pictures.

"I have the same one. It's so I'm always close to your heart."

Tears start rolling down my checks like little diamonds.

"Oh Lani! I don't know how I'm going to do this without you," I cry.

"I know! I don't know how I can either!" 

We wrap our arms around each other in a hug, and I lay my head on her shoulder again.

We stay in that hug, never wanting to let go when Mr. Ouakai says, "come on girls, let's go."

Neither one of us let go.

Alani's Makuahine comes out of the car, yelling, "Alani Kaimana Ouakai-Tamatoa! Get in the car now!"