Chapter 6

A week has passed, and nothing exciting really happens. Until today.

I wake up to a gentle whisper.

"Noelani? It's Livy! I am waking you up because it is morning, and I hope we can play?!"

I chuckle and open my eyes.

"It worked! You're awake!" She squeals. "We're having pancakes for breakfast! I hope you like them 'cuz I helped Daddy make them!"

"Then I bet they taste amazing." I smirk, tapping her on her nose.

She smiles her toothy smile, and takes my hand.

Every morning she wakes me up, and holds my hand while going down the stairs.

She leads me to the dining room table and says, "tada!"

I laugh. It's one of her favorite things to surprise me, then announce 'tada'.

I breathe in the warming aroma of the chocolate chip pancakes and sit down.

Livy sits next to me, and Alice and Mark walk in, with a grumpy Brody behind them.

"Morning, Noelani. How did you sleep?" Mark asks.

"Pretty good. And I got a lovely awakening this morning, as always," I wink at Livy.

Brody rolls his eyes. What is his problem? He's hated me since the day I got here. I thought he'd warm up to me by now.

"Well, that's nice." Alice says. "Now, Noelani, today is Saturday which means it's your riding lesson with Mark. So Livy, when she needs to ride I want you with me. I don't want her distracted."

"Yes, Mommy," Livy replies.

"Good. Now, let's say grace."

We all bow our heads. This is new to me, because in Hawaii we never did this. But I go along, even though I don't really understand it. And it's always the same prayer. But it's very beautiful.

Mark clears his throat. 

"Our Father in Heaven,

Hallowed be thy Name. 

Thy Kingdom come, 

Thy will be done, 

On Earth as it is in Heaven. 

Give us this day our daily bread, 

And forgive us our trespasses, 

As we forgive those who trespass against us.

And lead us not into temptation, 

But deliver us from the evil one. 

For yours is the Kingdom,

The power, and the glory,

For ever and ever.

Amen."

A chorus of 'Amen's  go around the table and we dig in.

After breakfast I go to the barn to do chores with Brody. At first, I didn't do them, but I felt bad doing nothing around the house and asked to help. Brody is now showing me what to do and how to feed the animals.

But he only talks when he needs to. Giving me a cold stare the whole time. Even though I'm two years older than him, he's way taller and scary too! 

But I mean, almost everyone is taller than me, I'm only 4' 7". And Livy is 3' 4", so she's catching up to me too!

I walk to the big red barn to see Brody already there, waiting for me.

"So, for the pigs, just poor the slop into the bucket. For the chickens, throw corn onto the ground. For the cows, let them out back and graze for a bit. For the horses, give them hay and their special grains. For the sheep, give them some hay, and let them roam around the back to eat grass too. That's it. What do you want to do?"

"Uhmm, I will do the horses, cows, and sheep, since they all eat about the same things." I reply awkwardly.

"Fine." And with that, he leaves to go feed the pigs.

I roll my eyes. Will he ever get used to me?

I go to the sheep first. They have five sheep and one lamb. I lead them to the back and let them roam. While they're doing that I put some hay in their stall for when they get back.

Then, I go to my favorite. The horses. They have four horses. Two speckled horses, one pinto horse, and one black stallion.

The black stallion is the one I ride, and her name is Moonlight. She was Livy's horse for when she grows up, but Alice and Mark saw how attached Moonlight is to me and said they'll get a white horse for Livy, her dream horse.

I brush through Moonlight's mane with my fingers and she gives a soft whinny.

I put hay in her tray and grains in her bucket. And do the same for Charles, Brody's horse, which is the pinto. He's a brat, always trying to bite. So I always have to be careful.

Then I feed the two speckled horses, Aladdin and Axel. They are very cute, but a little frisky. They are Alice and Mark's horses. Once they are fed I go back out to the sheep and put them back in their stall, then let the cows out.

There are three cows, and a recently born calf. I got to name him, so I named him Kahawai, after my dear brother.

I let them out, and sit outback watching them roam. Who knew farm life was actually fun?

I sat for a while, but then the sun is hidden from a cloud; and deep, black clouds appear, ready for trouble.

Uh oh. This doesn't look too good. It starts raining, so I quickly try to get the cows inside. But Kahawai gets spooked when the thunder booms, which makes the process harder.

But I'm able to get him in, and I look outside. I decide that it's not to far from the house, so I go out into the storm.

I am speed walking to my house, letting the rain soak into my hair. I love the feeling of the soft pitter patter falling on the top of my head.

Then, a huge thunder booms which makes me jump, and lightning flashes not too far in the distance.

I better hurry.

I am now by the back porch, where Alice is calling to me. "Hurry, Noelani!"

I nod and pick up the pace. But then, I hear a crackle, and look up.

Everything goes white. I'm stiff to the bone and unable to move. I feel electric shocks travel through me; starting from above my right eye, and traveling down to the end of my fingertips and toes.

I crumple to the ground, and hear the faint cries of Alice when I black out.

•~•

Oh my! Noelani is struck! Will she survive!?😂😂😂😂just kidding you already know she does! If you want to figure out what happens after she's struck, stay tuned for the next chapter. And please vote, comment, and follow! I will follow back if you want and check out your book(s). Love you all!