Chapter 8

I wake up at about 1 in the morning. I'm so thirsty I look around for my water, but it's not there.

I hate to be a nuisance but my throat is killing me, so I'll just ring the doctor.  

I press the button, which is supposed to send a nurse in.

A few minutes later my doctor walks in, carrying a pitcher of water. But when he sees me, he drops it on the floor in shock.

"W-What? What is wrong?" I stutter.

"You're-You're g-g-glowing!"

"I am what?!" I look down at my skin. It looks normal to me.

"I'm not glowing? How come you see it but I can't?"

"I don't know. But something weird is going on here! I know it! Doctor Louis!"

He runs out of my room into the hall.

What is going on!  Am I going insane?

I'm now panicking, unsure of what is going on.

I'll just try to get out of here!

I try to get out of my bed, when the two doctors burst in.

"Noelani!" Doctor Louis yells. "What are you doing?"

He runs over, to try and put me back I'm my bed, but I shove him off, and fall to the floor.

"Don't touch me! Who knows what I'll do next! I'm glowing he says! Why am I glowing!" I cry, scooting away from them.

My doctor, Dr. Charles comes slowly to me. "Noelani. Calm down. We're not going to hurt you. You just startled me is all, and I went to get Dr. Louis to help me see if I was seeing things correctly."

I still try to scoot away.

I don't want to be tested on!

"Now, I'm going to call your parents to come here, and bring you home early. You're healthy. And you're not glowing. It was probably just the reflection of the light, okay?" Dr. Louis explains.

I nod, shaking. What is going on! 

Dr. Louis leaves the room, and I'm left with Dr. Charles.

"Let's get you back in your bed," he says, reaching a hand towards me.

"No!" I scream. "Don't touch me!"

He pulls his hand back, surprised.

Dr. Louis enters again, saying, "you're parents are on their way, okay?"

I nod.

I just want to get out of here! I feel trapped! Am I going insane??

I wrap my arms around my knees and sit there shaking.

I sit like that for ten minutes until Alice and Mark enter.

"Oh, Noelani, let's go," Alice says. She helps me stand up, and says to Mark, "we'll wait out in the hallway."

Mark stays, talking to the doctors and Alice leads me into the hallway, comforting me.

I don't listen though, because I feel the weird sensation through my spine and I'm able to hear what Mark and the doctors are saying.

" I'm concerned, Mr. Adams. First, she's left with almost no mark, then, she's almost reading minds, and now she's glowing! I only told her she wasn't to calm her down. But I'm afraid...she's like the boy." Dr. Louis says.

"She can't be!" Mark protests. "It might just be a side affect from being struck!"

"I don't know, Mark, this isn't normal. I think we should have her tested with the boy." Dr. Charles says.