Chapter 1: Six not Tris

I wake up next to Tobias. He is facing me, but asleep. I love to watch him like this. Laying there, a smile forms on my face. He's perfect. He takes a deep breath and the corner of his mouth curves upward. Slowly, he opens his eyes.

"Good morning," he says.

"Come on," I say, "the new initiates are coming today. Get up." I smile. The slight smile leaves his face and he lets out a quiet sigh.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Nothing, I've just never really liked training. Maybe it'll be different though, with you." This year I'm a trainer as well. I will be introducing myself as Six, not Tris. I know Tobias is still Four, he hasn't given his real name. Therefore, we will be Four and Six, Dauntless trainers.

I purse my lips together, there's only one problem with this new job. Sympathy.

"Tobias, what if I can't act cruel... or strict like Eric does?" I can imagine the fear these innocent 16 year olds must be feeling. Being forced to shoot guns for the first time, jumping from moving trains, it was terrifying. Of course it's not anymore, but I can't act like they should be brave about this, they are like I was, small and weak. At least most of the transfers will be.

"It's not hard. Act bored and don't smile. That's about it actually," he says.

"Okay. Will Eric be there?" I ask.

"No, he's not required now. Thank you by the way." He laughs.

There only has to be two trainers, Four and Six. Eric isn't even in the picture this year.

I get up and grab the outfit Christina bought me. "It makes me look threatening." Her words. I'm not sure if I like it yet. Tobias is in the shower now, so I change in front of the mirror. I slip on the shirt, a V-neck black top. The fabric is thick and somewhat stretchy. It is long sleeved and easy to move in.(Note: I put a picture of the shirt on the side, for those of you on a computer.) The pants are a pair of black skinny jeans. Also stretchy, I'm comfortable in them. The shoes are my own. Black sneakers with a white stripe on the side. I put in silver stud earrings, Christina's choice, and a black rubber bracelet. On it is the word 'DAUNTLESS' written in silver letters. Tobias wears one too.

I am standing in the mirror looking at the outfit from different angles when Tobias comes in. His hair shines from the recent shower. He walks up behind me, so that I can see our picture in the mirror. Putting his arms around me, he whispers "Beautiful." I look up at him, turning around. I don't doubt myself now. His words work like the last piece of a puzzle, my conformation. I wrap me arms around his shoulders and hug him.

"I love you, you know," he whispers.

"Good. I was afraid I'd have to get out a chart or something so you could be sure." He laughs, remembering that I had said that to him once before.

"We've gotta go. They're coming in fifteen minutes." He grabs my hand and we walk slowly to the pit, where we will meet new friends and enemies. New Dauntless-Borns and transfers. I take a deep breath and get ready to be ruthless and cruel. No mercy, no mercy, I think.

***********************************************************************************************************************

Okay, first chapter. Short, I know. Anyway, thanks for reading the first chapter. Let me know if this is worth continuing. Thank you. -Riley