Chapter 10: Okay

I woke up this morning in Tobias's small bed. He wasn't there next to me as usual. He slept where Marcus did. His bed was too small for both of us, or else he would never have slept there.

It's about noon now, and we haven't left the house. I'd be nervous to, to be honest. Tobias is in the kitchen cooking something he found in the cabinet. I'm watching him. Every move he makes reminds me of my father, when he used to cook for us. Tobias turns on the stove and carefully places a slightly rusted pot over the burner. When he's set the timer, he turns to face me. He smiles at me in the way he always used to. I need to talk to him about our lives in the future, will we stay in Abnegation? Move elsewhere?

"So I take it we'll be staying here?" I ask

"Its up to you, I think its safest for you here." He replies. 

"What if they find us?" 

"Who?" He questions. I assume he thinks that we're never going to be caught, thrown back out to the factionless. This is a safe place but we don't belong here, and we both know it.

"Tobias, we aren't a part of this faction. It's going to be obvious. We cant stay here."

"And where do you propose we go?" He asks

"I just mean that we need to get a plan. Just in case. What about Amity?" I say. I already know the answer.

"I cant- you cant. Tris, we both know that isn't an option." He says. "Just trust me about this. We're going to be fine. You'll be safe here. Nobody will even know we're here, okay?"

I nod as the timer goes off on the stove. Tobias turns back to the meal and pours the contents of the pot into a strainer in the sink. The water flows out of the holes, leaving pale noodles behind. He takes two plates out of the cabinet.

"How hungry are you?" He asks me.

"I am exceptionally starving." I reply, smiling. 

"Good." He puts a huge pile of noodles on my plate, as well as his own, and carries them to the table. This feels so familiar to me. Tobias places himself across from me, and immediately begins eating. He makes a disgusted expression and sets his fork down, staring at the food.

"I forgot how bland this stuff was." He says.

"I love it this way." I counter, taking a large bite of food. The next several minutes go by slowly. We eat quietly like the Abnegation do. Without arguing about future factions or life here. It feels like I haven't chosen Dauntless yet. Like, life has always been this way, and it was always meant to be like this. It's a beautiful life.

"Thank you." I whisper. "Not just for the food, I mean." 

"For what?"

"I don't know, taking care of me. I mean, we'd be dead right now, we'd have frozen, we would be factionless, and starving.  And you. You saved us. You saved me." I say.

"Did you ever doubt I would?" He smiles, raising an eyebrow.

I shake my head. "No."

"Don't ever think that we wont be okay. Because we always will be. I don't care where we are, but we will always be okay." He leans across the table as he speaks. I focus on the deep blue color of his eyes. They look kind, and I wonder sometimes if he ever looks like this to other people. 

"Thank you." I give. I am so grateful for having him here with me. He's right. We will be okay. Okay isn't perfect. We aren't. And we cant live a perfect life together, our lives will be okay, and that's more than enough. "Okay."

We are interrupted by a knock at the door.