Chapter 3: Ive Lost All Sympathy

The initiates line up by Four's command. He splits them into Dauntless born and Transfers. Lauren takes the Dauntless borns and we take the Transfers. The Initiates crowd into the hallway leading to the pit. Its dark and small, but I'm used to it.

"My name is Four," he says, "This is Six. We will be your new instructors-"

"You mean like the numbers four and six?" Another Candor asks. He is a skinny boy with practically white hair, like his shirt. He stands next to Sage. Siblings, maybe?

"Yes. Do you have an issue with that, Candor?" I ask.

"No." Is all he says. My eyes shift to Four. He is scowling, this is how he looked when I was in their place.

"Anyway," Four continues. "For the next few weeks, Six and I will be your instructors. We will be giving you a tour of the compound today. We will be going to the pit in a moment. Anything you'd like to add, Six?" He asks me. I do want to add something. I look directly at Sage.

"Yes, actually. You are Dauntless Initiates now. This means that you will not smart off, Candors. Got it? Disrespect towards Four and I will not be tolerated for even a second. Understand? Good." I say without waiting for a response. I look at the initiates. I seem to have lost all sympathy for them. They can deal with their fears on their own. Most of them look scared, good.

"Follow me to the Pit now." Four instructs. I hold his hand. His finger slides over the ring on my finger, and I smile.

The initiates turn their heads in every direction, looking at the shops, the cafeteria, and finally the chasm. We lead them towards it, it's water gushing loudly. Four nods at me, I know what to say.

"The chasm represents that there is a fine line between bravery and idiocracy. If you take a jump in there you will surely die. Its not brave, its stupid, yet it has happened before." I say. "Now if you'll come this way, its time to eat."

We head to the cafeteria, ready for the applause. The initiates walk in and just like for me, the Dauntless clap and stomp their feet. Four and I each take a slice of cake and a hamburger, then we take a seat at Zeke and Uriah's table.

"How am I doing?" I ask while chewing.

"Perfect." He replies.

"So what-" I start.

"Shh, watch her." Four points at the Amity girl, dressed in red, about to take a bite of her hamburger. It is likely that she has never had one before. She sinks her teeth into the meat and her eyes widen. The girl tries to smile, but her mouth is full.

Four laughs.

"I love watching that. It's probably my favorite part of this." He explains.

"Did I look like that when I was an initiate?" I ask.

"Yeah, actually. But you seemed to like the food even more than she does." He smiles. I probably did.

Zeke comes and sits in front of him and I.

"Party at my appartment tomorrow night, you coming?" He asks

"Sure." I reply. Four nods. "What time?"

"Nine, we're gonna play Dauntless truth or dare. Ever played that Tris?" Zeke says.

"No, I havent."I reply

"Oh, well have Four tell you about it. Its really fun actually. Well, its not very fun for the pansycakes!" Zeke laughs. "See you then." He leaves us alone again.

"How do you play it?" I ask Four.

"Um, well Zeke will ask someone 'truth or dare.' For truth they will have to answer a personal question, for dare they have to complete a task which usually involves getting embarrassed somehow."

"That sounds awful." I add.

"Well, it kind of is, but you'll get called a pansycake for about a month if you dont play."

"What happens if I dont want to answer the question or do the dare?" I ask.

"You have to remove a piece of clothing-"

"Nope, not playing." I decide instantly.

"I hate it to be honest, but you have to. I always pick dare, and I've never had to take off anything."

I sigh, giving in.

"I'll do it if you do, I guess." I say

"Great."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Four and I lead the initiates to their room and we walk back to our's. Neither of us speak. We enjoy the silence, considering we've been talking all day, explaining things that should be obvious to the initiates. When we are inside, he slips off his shoes and finally speaks.

"You were amazing, by the way." He stands in front of me, towering over my small body. He puts his hand under my chin and tilts my head up to look at him. "In fact, Six, you were better than I was." He kisses me lightly on the forehead.

"Thanks, all I did was repeat what I remembered from my initiation."

He smiles. "When is the wedding going to be?"

"I dont know, soon." I reply.

"Good." He nods. "Now go on and get dressed, its late." He tells me. I slip on one of his long, black T-shirts and a pair of my own shorts in the bathroom. When I come out, Four is already in bed. I climb in too, and adjust my pillow. With that i'm asleep.