Chapter 11: At The Door

My only thoughts are of panic. Who's at the door. No one should know we're here. There are 3 sets of knocks. Tobias and I remain at the table. I look up at him and he shakes his head. 

"What do we do?" I whisper so quietly I doubt he even heard me. He shrugs lightly, just as something heavy hits the door. It's locked, but someone heaves against the door again, I guess trying to knock it over. Tobias stand up and faces the sound. Someone obviously wants inside, and they are willing to use force. Most stiffs wouldn't do that; this cant be a member of Abnegation.

A third thump hits the door. I leave the table and stand by Tobias. The knob rattles. He pushes me behind him with this arm, an instinct. 

"Tris, go upstairs." he orders

"No, I can help." I say. I was a member of Dauntless too, I think he forgets that.

"Tris." He turns to me and looks me in the eye. He looks more worried than I though he would be. "Please, you're safe upstairs. Go in my room and lock the door until I come get you." He demands. I take a minute to consider the options.

As much as I don't want to, I nod. I walk up the small set of stairs, but I don't go into Tobias's room. I sit at the top of the stairs so I can listen to whats going on. I hear the door crash down, and then a vicious voice. I've heard it before, but where?

"Marcus." I hear Tobias say. "Get out."

"As I recall, this is my house, and you aren't Abnegation." Marcus says. I get up and confront him myself. I shouldn't be afraid of him, i've only seen him in a simulation. I stand firm next to Tobias. Marcus turns his focus to me. His eyes make anyone who looks at him feel weak. He's tall, like his son. He steps closer to me.

"Who's this?" Marcus asks without turning is eyes away from me. Tobias sees this as a threat and pushes Marcus away from me. 

"Don't touch her."Tobias angrily commands.

"I'm Tris. Why are you here?" I ask.

"I noticed a familiar face as I was walking to work yesterday, and I wanted to confirm my suspicion." Marcus remarks. He's pathetic, I already don't like him at all, and I can't say I ever did.

"No." Tobias whispers. He grabs my hand and pushes past Marcus who stands in the doorway. We walk outside through the streets of Abnegation. Nobody looks at us, they are all too focused on other people to care about the boy who looks pretty normal around here and the girl with long, messy hair wearing large men's clothing. We walk quickly until we get to the outskirts of the faction, a good fifteen minute walk considering we were already so close to the edge.

Once we are away from Abnegation, Tobias sits down in an alleyway, and I sit across from him. Its about noon from what I can tell. He looks at his hands which are clasped together as if there was something he was keeping inside of them. He take an extremely deep breath and looks up at me.

"I'm sorry about him. He would have turned us in." He says.

"You're probably right, where should we go now?" I ask.

"I don't know yet, any ideas?" 

"Amit-" I begin.

"No." He interrupts. I knew he'd do that.

"Why? It's not like we have anywhere else to go. Candor would probably make us attend some interrogation, which I don't know about you, but I don't want to go to, Erudite, the home of Jeanine Matthews, I don't think so. And Dauntless and Abnegation are out of the question, so why not at least try Amity?"

"I don't know if I could stand it if you turned into one of those Amity girls." He says.

"I promise I wont let them rub off on me, now please. Can we try?" I plead.

"And what if I can't do it?" He argues. I assume he mean that he cant be nice, which isn't true all the time.

"Then I guess we'll leave. But I know you can." I smile.

"Tomorrow, now come here." He gestures for me to sit next to him, and when I do, he places an arm around my shoulder. My ankle doesn't hurt anymore. I lean against his shoulder.

"We were supposed to get married." He whispers.

"We can in Amity." I suggest

"Okay." I can see that he's not fond with the idea, considering he doesn't exactly get along with the Amity. I have a respect for them, for their kindness, and I think Tobias will as well once we arrive. We will go in the morning. Once again he was right, we're okay. Even of all people, Marcus, could not change that.