Chapter 2: Tough As Nails

• Dedicated to Whoever actually read my book without me asking them to. :D

We are standing at the net. The first jumper will be coming any minute. My hand is enclosed in Tobias's hand and we wait silently. I really should call him Four now.

"Four?" The name don't fit in my mouth right. "Remember, I'm introducing myself as Six, okay?"

"Okay, Six." He grins. "You ready?"

"Yeah. But.. What if they don't see me as an instructor." I've been thinking. What if I just look like a short, harmless girl? A weak stiff?

"They will, I'll make sure." He replies. Then a blur of white comes crashing into the net. Four pulls her to her feet with one hand, the other doesn't leave mine.

"What's your name?" I ask her.

"Sage." She tells me.

"Doesn't sound like a Dauntless name, sure you don't want to change it? Last chance" Four asks her, looking at me. He grabs a clip board, the name list, releasing my hand.

"What do you want me to change it to?" She winks at Four.

"That's your choice, not mine." He growls. He obviously doesn't like to be flirted with, I'm glad. Sage inches closer to him with a smile. An anger boils inside of me, and I act on it.

"You'll stay away from him unless you want to be floating in the chasm!" I yell, pinning her against a post on the net. I am pulled back by Four's strong grip. I see Sage glance at Four's hand and smile selfishly, noticing that he is not married.

"Well it's not like you're married to him! And I won't be threatened by a little girl half my size." She scowls at me. My fists draw back, ready to end her. Four seemed to know what I was going to do. He catches my punch in mid air.

He walks straight up to Sage, she smiles like a fool. Grabbing her jaw forcefully, he positions her face to look into his angry eyes.

"You keep yourself away from her and I unless you want to accidentally end up in the hospital. Six could take you down in seconds, you coward." He spits.

Jerking his hand away, she is released. I then realize that we are being watched, by more than 5 initiates. I didn't see them jump, I don't think Tobias did either.

My heart pounds violently. Tears threaten to spill over. I run through the crowd back to the apartment. I can't take this, my first day and this is already going terribly. Somehow I figured this would happen, but I didn't think I'd be getting insulted. How dare she...I'll..fail her, send her off to live among the factionless, beat the crap out of her, I don't know, she'll pay though. She made me seem weak in from of the initiates. My first day, awful, pitiful. Then Tobias rushes in.

I have my head in my knees, sitting on the floor in a corner. I'm crying, I feel the tears, but I don't make a sound. He gets down at my level, so I can see his eyes.

"Tris, I want to make something clear." He starts. "I'll never let that happen again." He pulls me to my feet and I wipe my raw eyes.

"You alright?" He asks me. I nod in response.

"Good"

Then something odd happens. He is kneeling. Holding a box. It is small, and square. I know what it is. I suck in a breath and when I exhale, more tears spill.

"Tris, I love you."

My jaw drops.

"Six, Tris, and Beatrice. I'm talking to all of you. I love you and I want you to marry me."

I'm nodding, before I can even think it over. He slides a silver ring with three diamonds on the top, on my finger. I wrap my arms around his neck and kiss him. Then I break away and pull him into a hug, which lasts for a long time.

"We have to go back." He sighs.

"Do I look like I've been crying, Four?" I ask.

"No, you look tough as nails", he jokes. I remember when he said that to me when I was an initiate. It makes me laugh as we walk hand in hand back to meet more initiates, who I hope are more polite. I let my ring shine so that everyone can see it, Sage does. Her jaw drops and I laugh cruely. This is going to be interesting year.