Chapter 16: The Ones We Love

I wake up to a knock at the door.

"Come in." I shout.

Will enters the room and I sit up in bed. His face expresses sadness but how could it not?

"Can I sit down?" he asks, almost whispering.

"Mhm." he takes a seat on the edge of the bed. Dark circles are visible under his eyes.

"I just wanted to check on you, see if you were okay." He says

"Are you okay?" I ask

"No." he answers quickly.

"She was such a good friend, I loved her." He whispers, his throat obviously tight.

"Don't you still love her?"

"I love her." He corrects himself. "I just wish that death never happened. You know, everyone would live forever."

"Im learning that people who you care about will always find a way to leave you, abandon you, or hurt you somehow. Will, its inevitable." I explain.

"Then love is a mistake." He responds

"No, I'd say its worth it. And you know what, we'd better enjoy the time we have left until something happens to us too. And I don't mean death. We're going to endure a lifetime of pain and it's only just started."

"We have each other. Other friends, other family."

I don't respond for a while. I lay staring at the ceiling contemplating the idea of love in its many forms, until I finally understand. I did love her, Will did too.

"We can be mended, Will. We have to mend the ones we love until we can no longer afford to."