Chapter 14

Oh. My. God!

When Liam didn't come to school again today I finally gave in. So here I am, standing outside Liam's 'house'.

Where's the freaking house?! I'm standing outside the gates to what appears to be a private park. Confused I check the address I entered into Google Maps. Nope, right address and Liam's house should be right here.

Moving closer to the gates I spot a sign with the correct house number, as well as a sign with 'Paine' written on it.

Do they really live in the middle of a park? How rich are these guys anyway?! Just thinking about it makes me uneasy and my nerves slowly seep from me.

I shouldn't have come here. He'll probably come to school tomorrow. Adam would have said if there was something seriously wrong, wouldn't he? I turn from the gates and start making my way back to the main road.

"Hello Miss."

I yelp and turn midair, seeing an older man, maybe in his mid fifties, in worn overalls, thick working gloves and a rake resting over the shoulder. He's looking directly at me. "Are you lost Miss?"

"Um... I... I'm here to visit Liam?" why that comes out as a question, I have no idea.

The man's eyebrows rises. "Really? You go to school with him?"

"Yeah. I um, I found him Friday and I was just wondering if he's alright?"

Understanding lights his eyes. "Ah, I see. Well, come on in Miss and I'll take you to the house." He walk's to the side where there is a small guard house. He disappears into it and after a few seconds the massive gates open to let me in.

Hesitantly I cross the threshold and the man appears again.

"I'm Olav by the way. Right this way."

He leads me away from the paved road onto the grass. Over by a cluster of trees is what resembles a golf cart with a trailer with all kinds of tools attached.

"I'll drive you up to the estate. It's much faster."

"I can walk if it's a bother? I mean if you have something to do?"

"I have something to do. In the gardens surrounding the estate. I'm done with the outer areas for today, so don't you worry your pretty head Miss."

I nod my assent and take a seat in the golf cart.

The closer we come to the house, the more nervous I get. Maybe I really shouldn't have come. Maybe I should have called instead? Adam could've given me a number.

It doesn't get any better when the house come into view.

Holy shit. That's not a house. That's a manor!

It's a baroque styled house, loosely enclosed by a one meter high brick wall and painted yellow. It has at least a dozen windows in varying sizes a small balcony over the main entrance and high over that a - relatively - small triangular roof piece decorated with statues and on either side of the building is a dome with a small spire each. On each side of the squared main building is a smaller building and a little to the right of the manor is a group of buildings in different sizes. In front of it all is a small fountain, which hides the front door from view.

"Close your mouth, you're catching flies." My jaw snaps closed and I turn to look at a smirking Olav. "Impressing isn't it? Especially when seeing it for the first time."

I only nod mutely in reply. He points to the buildings to the right. "Over there are all the utility houses. There's a stable as well but the family aren't horse people, so we only have a few horses which the staff are free to use if they can do it properly. Other than that, there's a shed, a separated guesthouse, a kennel and other storage buildings. Behind the house is a pool and tennis court. Further back is a pool house another guesthouse and somewhere there's also a graveled outdoor area for riding."