Chapter 31

His finger on the trigger twitching, a fraction of a second before he pulls it. I close my eyes and wait for death.

"Bambi."

BANGBANGBANG! Three red stains blooms on the boy's chest.

"Bambi, wake up!"

Growls, barking and howls.

"Caia, wake up dammit!"

The coldest, most terrifying brown eyes I have ever seen.

"Caia!"

"Goodbye Miss Davenport."

"Caia, run!" my mom screams as she raises the knife to strike against my dad's murderers.

"CAIA, WAKE UP!" my whole body jolts as I come awake with a wail and tears streaming from my eyes. My eyes jerk to Liam's concerned ones and automatically I reach up to bring him down to me.

"Shh, sweetheart, shh..." Liam soothes, stroking my hair and kissing my tearstained face. "You're alright, I got you now. Nothing will get by me."

He soothes, kisses and whisper to me until the shaking of my body fades and the tears dies away. Then I once again drifts of to sleep, this time with Liam's voice as company.

*****

When I wake up again it is after a dreamless sleep. And for the second time in my life I wake up face to face with the cords of Liam's neck. But this time I'm in no hurry to move away from him, content with listening to him breathing steadily in and out. I can feel that I'm still fully dressed but Liam has taken off his tee, so I let my eyes glide over his well defined chest.

I have to go. I have to call Brian to come and get me. I can't see another way out. If the thugs of this town haven't yet figured out that Hall is no longer able to pay the promised bounty, then I'm not safe here. And my friends won't be safe near me. I have to go.

The mere thought is heartbreaking. I'm settled, I have friends and I have a boyfriend - who still haven't asked me out properly, but whatever. The point is I don't wanna leave.

I raise myself up to look at Liam's sleeping face. His stubbles are getting kind of long so he's looking more rugged than usual. There is a small bruise near his chin which wasn't there yesterday. I guess my attacker got a hit in after all.

Looking at him and preparing myself to leave him behind, a thought suddenly pops up in my mind. Am I really never going to know what being with him is like? I wanted to wait. I wanted us to be together longer before we were intimate. But I don't have all the time in the world anymore. Now it's a matter of days - if not hours - before I'm moving, hiding in another city. Maybe I should try a smaller town this time. Somewhere where nothing ever happens. The most boring town on the country map.

I look at him for a second or two longer before I lean forward and seal his lips with my own. I softly move my lips over his and trace my tongue over the seam. I allow my hand to caress his jaw and let it run further down over his chest.

A sleepy but content grumble makes its way from his chest into my mouth, as his hands rise to spear through my loose hair. When he opens his mouth I slip my tongue inside like I've been taught by his many kisses.

With a thundering heart I make a bold move and swing my leg over his waist so I'm straddling him with our privates aligned. One hand leave my hair to run up along the back of my thigh, coming to rest just below the curve of my ass.