Chapter 34

"They're beginning to herd everyone out." Adam remarks.

It's almost eleven and the dance is seemingly over. I've had a fabulous time tonight and I can't wait for the next dance. Liam has been a wonderful date, caring, gentle and funny. For the most part he was laughing and smiling along with me, also looking like he was having a great time, but sometimes his eyes would darken with almost murderous intent. The first time they did, I looked behind me just in time to see Britney's face blanching before she turned and hurriedly went the other way. After my little run-in with Britney, Liam have become extra protective again. Poor Liam, every time he relaxes enough to leave me alone for a little while, something happens to summon up his worries once again.

"There's an after party at some seniors house." Liam say and turn to me. "Wanna go, sweet girl?"

I don't have to think for long. "Yeah, let's go." I'm ready to live life like I've actually had a normal two years. That includes going to parties.

With a big grin, Liam grabs my hand and pull me up from the chair.

*****

Unlike the gymnasium, the house is cramped tight with bodies. Some are still wearing their dance dresses, others have changed into something easier to move and dance in. The music is loud and pulsing, and there's a faint mixed odor of sweat and alcohol.

"So how is it?" Jade yells in my ear.

"Overwhelming." I tell her, taking in the unfamiliar setting. Now that I'm here I'm losing my nerve a bit.

Liam keeps me close as he navigates the crowd, until we're standing in front of a well equipped bar. "Want a drink?" he don't wait for my answer and immediately begins mixing coca cola and rum.

Handing it to me, he says "Don't worry, it's not very strong."

I accept the drink but stare at the brown stuff suspiciously. I shoot him a narrow eyed look. "You'll take care of me if I get drunk right? Make sure I don't do anything embarrassing, like dance on the tables or strip naked or something?"

His face becomes serious. "I'll always take care of you, Bambi." He say soberly.

I stare into his eyes for a few seconds, before nodding and taking a cautious sip of the drink. I might not be very strong but there's still a strange burn as the rum makes its way down my throat. But it's not bad. I actually quite like it.

Smacking my lips I nod approvingly, causing Liam to grin. The others join us and mix their own drinks, all way stronger than mine. A few drinks later and I believe I'm beginning to become what you'll call slightly tipsy, as I notice I giggle - a lot - and lose some of my inhibitions, even going as far as talking to the random strangers who sits down next to us. My dance moves have also become more confident, and it might be the alcohol talking but I think I've become better. Camille and Jade drags me out onto the dance floor and Liam always follows, glaring and intimidating anyone who dares get too close.

I'm sitting glued up Liam's side on a couch, getting to know Pricilla - she do art too and she's giving me pointers to improve my painting skills, which still suck - when I hear the voice of someone I had hoped never to deal with again.

"Well, well, well. Isn't this cozy. Beasty, I can't believe you didn't invite us." Ike's mocking voice grate on my nerves. He's with his gang again - does he never go anywhere without them? - and he's not dressed for partying, unfortunately he looks like he's prepared for a fight. The men and boys with him have closed in on us, standing in a tight half circle around the couches.