Plot Twist

"If you want it, I got it, I got it everydayYou can get whatever you need from meStay by your side, I'll never leave youAnd I ain't going nowhere 'cause you're a keeper

You can get whatever you need from me
Stay by your side, I'll never leave you
And I ain't going nowhere 'cause you're a keeper."

On my free period, I made my way back to baseball field. It might've been the day we met. The day we first hated each other. But you made another lasting memory for me on that field.
I roll the baseball in my hands, squeezing it as I glance up to the sky, noticing they look like rain clouds. I sigh softly as I get up onto one of the stands and take a seat when I can see the whole field. The air smelt like rain, like it did that day when you made this memory on the field. I continue to roll the ball as the flashback floods into my mind.

It was an average day at school. Boring classes, the vents barely worked, students bitched and the lunch in the cafeteria was nothing special. I wipe the sweat off my face in the girls bathroom as I look at myself in the mirror. I'd just had gym. I glance around the stalls realizing all the showers were taken; I roll my eyes as I just throw a shirt over the sports bra and layer myself with deodorant. I sniff myself and grinned in satisfaction before grabbing my gym bag, exiting the bathroom.
Jeff and I were friendly in the halls to each other now, a little hello here and there. Surprisingly, not a jerk. He's quite down to earth, funny, shy and not afraid to show people who he really is. We were friends. That's it. We spoke occasionally but we aren't that close to where we have each other's numbers. I mean, I'm definitely attracted to him. And if he asked for more, I wouldn't say no.
Leaving the gym, I promised Jeff I'd watch him play ball - with the hope he wouldn't ruin another outfit. Sadly, with how late soccer practice ran I could only catch the last fifteen minutes of his baseball practice. I jogged to the stands, seeing Jeff on the field realizing I wasn't too late. I smiled to myself as I saw Zach in the stands and walked over to him.
"Jesus, Andy!" Zach exclaims, making a anxious facial expression. "Where the hell have you been?! You're late!"
"Uh soccer?" I reply as more of a question. Confused as to why he's acting this way. "Didn't know I had a curfew, dad."
He rolled his eyes as he turns his attention back to the game. The sky wasn't as blue as it normally was, it was filled with rain clouds so the air hinted the smell of rain.
I looked over at the game and my brown eyes met his blue eyes; a bright, pearly white smile plastered on his face. I grinned back with a small wave, showing that I kept my promise to him. Finally, practice was over. The stands of students that came to practice to watch the guys filled the air with applause. I watched as Jeff spoke to his team mates, probably letting them know what a good practice it was.
The speakers then blasted music - which just so happened to be my favorite song: The Way by Ariana Grande. My eyes shot in every direction of the speakers, confused out of my mind. Without warning, my hands were grabbed by two baseball players, encouraging me to go with them.
"What? No. Zach!" I called as they pulled me from the stands.
"Woo! Andy!" I hear Zach scream as I have the most awkward expression on my face as they take me onto the field.
The baseball players lined up in two rows, standing about a meter apart from the player opposite them. Then I saw him. Jeff was down the end, standing in the middle while a baseball rolled in his hands. He was planted with the biggest smile I'd ever seen. He seemed so confident and yet, I was still oblivious. I was told by the two players that brought me down to walk to Jeff and so that's what I did.
Every player that was lined up handed me a single red rose. A giggle left my lips receiving my first rose from Monty. By the end of the eight players I'd gotten pretty much a bouquet. Jeff stood there as he shot me a playful smirk.
"A little birdie told me this was a favorite song of yours." Jeff chuckled as he played with the baseball in his hand.
"Zach." I scoffed, rolling my eyes as I chewed on my bottom lip. Jeff nodded which confirmed my answer.
"Now Miss Watson!" Jeff yelled over the song, making me blush more than what I had earlier. "I might strike-out asking, but will you be my catch to the dance?"
I had told Jeff earlier in the week that I wasn't going because dances are 'lame'. The baseball team surrounded me as I happily laughed. Jeff lowered his voice and placed the baseball in the middle of the bouquet in my hands. The ball had the same writing as what Jeff had just asked me.
"I promise to make it less lame." He chuckles as I stare at him in awe.
"You sure are one of a kind, Jeff Atkins." I respond, brushing some hair from my face as he leans forward, his ear close to my mouth. "Is that a yes?"
"I'd call it a home run." I laugh as he fist-pumps the air.
"She said yes!" He beams as the students cheer.
The baseball team jumping on Jeff's back congratulating him as I stand there laughing; still not believing the event that just took place. Within seconds, Jeff pushed away his mates and pulled me into a hug, kissing the top of my head. I grinned to myself, returning the embrace.
"Why me?" I ask as I pull away slightly, his arms draped around my shoulders.
His facial expression locked with confusion. "Why me? You barely know me?"
Jeff's face soon turned to a grin with his eyes rolling in his head at my question.
"You interest me. I'd like to find out more about you." Jeff answered as his thumb rubbed my forearm. "If that's okay with you?"
"It's more than okay."
Without warning, rain started to fall from the sky. Squeals heard from females as they rushed to cover, while I laughed along with Jeff.
"I didn't plan this." He quickly motioned to the sky with a chuckle.
"Obviously." I say softly as our eyes switch to the others pink lips.
I swear we could've kissed. The leans were happening and kissing in the rain - why not, right? But Bryce had to jump in and wrap his arms around us.
"Congrats you two! The dance will only just be the beginning!"

Little did I know, he was right. The next day he asked me on our first date. He passed a note to me in Mr Samuels class.
I wiped my eyes as the baseball field became empty in reality. No baseball players. No roses. No you. I heard footsteps approach me as I turned to see Zach.
"Hey." He spoke low as he sat next to me in the stand.
I sniffled as my fingers traced over the writing on the baseball before passing it to Zach.
"That was a good day. I'd never seen you happier." Zach spoke as his hands turned the ball.
"It's all gone. The field is empty." I breathed out as my voice broke as Zach stared at me. "How am I meant to do this, huh? Keep living while he's-"
I put my head in my hands as water fell from my eyes. Zach's arms wrapped around me, trying his best to comfort me.
"Anyway you can." He whispered just loud enough for me to hear. "Anyway you can."