Be Mine

"You said, "I remember how we felt, sitting by the water

And every time I look at you, it's like the first time.
I fell in love with a careless man's careful daughter.
She is the best thing that's ever been mine."

My facial expression is blank as I walk the halls of the school, feeling you around me. It's comforting. I might be going crazy. It might be the lack of sleep or the rare eating I'm doing lately, but I didn't care. It didn't bother me that the other students thought I was crazy - we're all a little messed up. Some more than others.
I brush back a thin strand of hair as I walk towards the gym for my next class. It wasn't fun but it kept me more distracted then every other class, so it was definitely good. And today was volleyball - just gotta keep my eye on the ball.
I exited the bathroom after I'd changed into my gym clothes. Seeing the rest of the class before me; talking and laughing. The smell wasn't as appealing; the gym sock smell twisted with all that sweat? Gross.
"Alright, alright." Coach Patrick started as he made his way over to us. "Volleyball time! Pick teams and play ball."
Coach was very lenient on pretty much every sport except basketball and baseball. During our class, he'd be teaching us before referring to one of those sports as an example. He was obsessed.
We picked our teams and started playing. It was fun at first until my mind got the better of me. I was ready to serve. A smile planted on my face as I was about to throw the ball up.
"Remember the dance?"
My smile dropped as your voice surrounded me. I felt two arms around my waist as a chin rests on my shoulder. I didn't need to turn. I knew it was you. My eyes fluttered shut as my body relaxes feeling your touch on me again as if it were forever. I was craving it.
"We were on this same wooden floor. Dancing. Do you remember?"
"Andrea, are you okay?" A soft friendly voice came over as I opened my eyes.
Sherri. A friendly cheerleader who was pretty much perfect. She was nice to everyone and not a bitch like the other cheerleaders.
"Actually." I start as I look over at coach. "I'm not feeling too hot, I'm going to sit out for this."
Sherri nodded with a worried expression as I handed her the ball and did my own thing. I made my way up to the bleachers; taking a seat on the third row from the back.
"We were standing right there. Laughing. Smiling."
My eyes focused on the image to my right. You. There you were sitting next to me on the bleachers. Your ocean blue eyes met mine. That pearly white smile made everything in reality stop while I stared at the figure beside me. Your luscious hair still styled the way I liked it.
"C'mon babe. Look at us."
He nudged his head in the direction of the middle of the gym. The room suddenly got darker. Lights shone in all directions. People in pretty dresses and suits filled the gym floor. We were at the dance.

"Look at me!" Jeff chuckled as he smushed my face in his hands. "You're still the prettiest girl in the room. No matter what you think."
"I didn't say anything!" I giggled as I grabbed his hands from my face, pushing them by his side.
Jeff shot me a knowing glance, before looking over at Sherri. "You gave Sherri a look."
"Girls do that." I shrug, shaking my head as Jeff grabs my face again in his hands.
"No more of that tonight."
With that, he led me to where the other students were dancing. It's been an amazing two weeks with him. Three dates, barely spending anytime apart, learning more about each other - safe to say, we were starting to like each other.
I nervously smiled up at him as he placed his arms on my lower back. His fingers lacing between his other hand while his thumbs rubbed up and down the small of my back. My arms wrapped around his neck, my left hand twisting my fingers through the back of his gorgeous brown hair.
The dress I wore is black and white. White lace cutting down the front of the low cut, sleeveless black dress. It was a perfect match for Jeff's white and black suit.
"So, I was thinking about the two weeks we spent together." Jeff started as his eyes met mine. "It's been great. I've enjoyed getting to know you."
I furrowed my brows as my hands loosened from his neck. "But?" I whispered, afraid that this was the end.
"But...things have to change." Jeff sighed as I looked to the ground.
We removed our hands from each other as I nodded. "Sure."
It was all I managed to say while feeling like a moron. Thinking something could come from this. I was ready to walk away. My feet were even leading me in the direction out of the dance floor as his hand grabbed mine. I turned around feeling the tears sting my eyes.
"But." He continued as he brought me into his chest, his arms lacing back around me with a charming smile planted on his face. "Things have to change. I want you to be my girlfriend."
I sighed in relief as I laughed, slapping his chest.
"Don't do that to me!" I frown as I lean into him, closing the gap between us.
My lips pressing against his as I answered his question. "Yes I'll be your girlfriend."
His smile manages to widen as I roll my eyes.
"But if you ever scare me like that again, I'll kill you." I state, my fingers running through his chestnut brown hair.
"Point taken." He laughs as he reunites his lips with mine.
I giggle softly as our heads lay on each other's shoulders while we sway to the soft music. My eyes direct me to Clay who sits on the bleachers - alone.
"Maybe you should pay attention to your project." I whisper in his ear as I motion to Clay.
"But I'm with-" He starts before I cut him off. "You talk to Clay and I'll talk to Hannah."
Jeff couldn't help but left a small smirk leave his lips.
"You're the best, you know that right?" Jeff asks before kissing me one last time.
My sweet smile shows as I watch him talk to Clay. My eyes soon went to Hannah, watching her sit alone on the opposite side of the gym. I breathed in the overly perfumed air before heading over to Hannah. I glance back and see Jeff trying to convince Clay to make a move while I sat beside her.
"Are you enjoying the dance?" I asked as I took a seat beside Hannah.
"It's good." She comments as her eyes scan the room.
My grin widens as I lean close to her. "Talk to him."
She looks at me dumbfounded. Like she had no idea who I was talking about.
"Clay. Go talk to Clay." I whisper as I give her a nudge. "I hear he's itching to dance."
"What if he says no?" Hannah protests as I point to Clay.
"Does that look like he's going to say no?" Hannah looked forward, seeing Clay walk toward her.
I push her forward, giving her first steps to Clay Jensen to meet him on the dance floor.
"We make one hell of a team." My now boyfriend mentioned as he took a seat beside me.
"It's sweet." I stated, watching the Clay and Hannah have their first dance. "What you did for Clay."
"He helps me in classes while I help him with his social life." Jeff grins proudly looking at the boy who he was previously sitting next to. "It's a win/win situation."
"Definitely a win." I whisper as my hand reaches his cheek, pulling him into me.
Our light pink lips touched once again. Deeply and passionate. Never in a million years did I think I'd find this sort of feeling I was feeling while with Jeff.

My tears drop from my eyes as the scene turns back into the volleyball session. I sniffle, wiping them away before turning to Jeff.
"I miss you." I whisper a he takes his hands in mine; smiling lovingly toward me.
"You don't need to. I'll always be here." He whispers back as his forehead leans against mine. "I'll always be with you."
I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to stop the tears from falling. But when I opened, you had disappeared from my sight.