Chapter 12: The First Time...

It was strange that Mr. De Luca cancelled his calls and appointments when he had such a busy day. Actually I was glad he had left the office for most of the day. The way he looked at me after noticing my bruise. The look of sadness... pity.

Those are the looks I don't want from people if they knew about my secret. It's enough that I am ashamed and feel stupid for letting Manny hit me the first time. But letting him continue to do what he wanted with me was beyond pathetic. Pathetic like me.

I never understood why females stayed with their abuser. I would get upset if I read an article about abuse or saw the news about a victim. 

"Why can't she just leave him?"

"Is she stupid? I would never let a man put their hands on me."

"I would kill him if he ever hit me."

"She must like being hit."

The things I would say and hear others ask about domestic abuse... naive and ignorant. 

That's what they were because I didn't know. Because I had never experienced abuse. Experienced the burning feeling after the first slap. The metallic taste in your mouth when you taste your own blood. The blood that comes from the cut on your lip from the slap or the punch that he had afflicted. The pain where the black and blue bruises resided through out your skin. A reminder that he could lose control in a blink of an eye because you said the wrong thing... or got him the wrong brand of beer.

Shock overcame me the first time Manny slapped me. We had had such a great night at his friend's birthday party. He had introduced me to his co-workers that had been invited also. His friends seemed nice and also did their girlfriends or wives. Little did I know that telling Manny that I liked his friends and I thought they seemed nice would set him off. The yelling and the accusations followed. The name calling like 'acting like a slut'  or 'you want them to f**k you don't you, you whore!'  thrown in my face. Confusion followed by denial since you knew you weren't thinking that or knew you didn't do anything wrong. But in his mind, you were the one being overly friendly, laughed a bit to hard at a joke told, your outfit was too tight or revealing though he's the one that picked it out for you and you were the one flirting, disrespecting him.

It happened in a blink of an eye. The screaming was getting louder and then a hard sting on the right side of the cheek so hard that it made you lose balance. Your ears begin to ring and your vision becomes blurry followed by a deadly silence.

"I'm sorry Kalene. Oh my God I'm so sorry. I-I didn't mean to slap you. Baby I'm so sorry. I was just so mad. The thought of you giving other men the impression that you are interested in them, it enrages me Kalene. You are mine baby. Only mine do you understand? I'm sorry Kalene, I swear I will never lose control again and I will never ever hit you. Please believe me."

That was the speech and apology that Manny had given me after he slapped me. The pleading and the begging. Even the tears that followed had me forgive him.

"I love you Kalene. I love you so much baby. Please say you'll forgive me. I won't do it again."

... and like a fool, I believed him... and forgave him every other time he hit me after that.

Leaving your abuser is easier said than done. I've heard it all before. Damn it, I've even said it. It's not as easy as some movies or books make it out to be. You can pack your things and try to disappear. Depending how badly your situation is you may even succeed. You may also start a new life. 

But depending on your abuser. How possessive he is. How calculating he is and how determined he is to get you back, you may never escape, at least without any scars.

I should know... because I tried and obviously didn't succeed.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

"Hello Ms. Bello." 

Glancing up from the paperwork I see non other than Mr. De Luca looking down at me.

"Hello Mr. De Luca. I didn't know if you would be back before the end of the day."

"I had to make sure whatever was cancelled had been rescheduled."

"They were sir. I typed a new schedule which is on top of your desk and linked them to your calendar."

Nodding his head he says. "Thank you Ms. Bello. I knew I could count on you." then passed the desk heading to his office.

"Kalene?" hearing him call me.

Turning around I ask. "Yes sir?"

"Do you mind coming inside my office when you are done with whatever you are doing? Please."

"Of course Mr. De Luca. I'm almost done." 

Nodding his head again, he entered his office without a word.

Done in five minutes, I get up from my chair and made my way to Mr. De Luca's office. Stopping in the doorway I knock.

Looking up from his computer screen he smiles. "Come in Kalene and please have a seat."

Walking in I go up to the chair and sit down. He continued looking at his computer screen while I sat there in silence.

"Kalene, I need to ask you a few questions." finally looking at me. He had his back straight against the back of his leather chair while his hands intertwined with one another, his elbows resting on each side of the arms of the chair.

"O-kay." not sure what he wanted to ask and hoping it wasn't about what he saw this morning.

"I am planning a company Halloween Party and I was wondering if you would be able to oversee the event planning."

Taken back I respond. "Umm, I've never planned a big event like that sir. Are you sure you want me too?"

"I wouldn't be asking you if I didn't want you to Kalene. I trust that you will be able to do this, and do it well." smiling again.

"Alright sir. If you think I can do it, I will try my best to make sure everything goes well."

"Good, that's what I want to hear from you. The event planner will be contacting you tomorrow with ideas. You will be selecting what you think will make the event a success and that will include a theme if you choose. This will be a family affair so the employees will be able to bring their children, so keep that in mind."

"Okay, good to know sir. Again, I will try my best not to mess it up." reassuring him and Praying that I don't. This is a big task and I seriously don't want to screw it up.

"I hardly doubt you will Kalene. Don't cut yourself short before you even begin. A positive mind can lead to many discoveries... even within yourself."

My brow raised at his comment. At that moment, I really wasn't sure if he was referring to me being able to plan this event... or me finding myself."

04/22/2017:

Hi guys, how are you? I know I haven't updated in a while but life has been busy with many things like Celebrating my Birthday, Easter and my son's 6th birthday which was on Wednesday and about to celebrate my other son's next week. I have also been trying to update my other stories which I have started two new ones if you are interested in checking them out... no pressure.

Anyways, I will try to update soon and I hope you all have a great weekend.

Thanks for Reading, Voting and Commenting.