Chapter 1 *edited*

It is a few days before my birthday and I am in my hidden cave in the woods. No one knows where it is other then me. I am very careful to keep the trail hidden. It also helps that I am good at climbing trees and jumping from branch to branch like a monkey.

Right now I am sitting in the back of the cave thinking. My 'mother' just told me that she is not my real mother but she found me at her doorstep and took me in. We have no idea where I came from at all. 

I look over at my sword and my bow. Well if I am going to be in the woods I might as well get us some food. I pick up my bow and hook my sword onto the strap on my back. There are bandits and other bad people in this forest and it doesn't hurt to be careful. 

My 'dad' who also adopted me has trained me to be one of the best swords-women ever. I am even better then most of the knights. They hold computations every year and I have entered every year and I dress as a boy.  I normally get first place.

I climb up a tree by a meadow. There is a nice sized deer but I don't shoot it because I would never be able to drag it back on my own. So I watch as a nice fat rabbit comes to eat right under my tree. I pull my bow back and my arrow appears. 

I take aim and fire. It is a perfect shot and I go down and pick it up. The rabbit is the biggest I have ever seen and he is almost as long as my arm! I smile and start walking home. I fold my bow up and put it on it's hook on my belt. 

My bow is magical. I had won it one year at a knight tournament that anyone could enter. I keep walking and sense someone following me so I stop and put my rabbit down and pull my sword out to. I had also won my sword from a knight tournament and it is also magical it never needs to be sharpened and only I can use both my sword and bow without getting hurt or killed

"Come out I know that you are there." I said calmly. I hear the bushes rustle to my left and I see a large man step out. Behind him is a smaller woman and a child. They look to be starving but looks can be deceiving.  The man steps forward. "We have been on the road for a few weeks and bandits attacked us. There were too many for me to fight off and they took everything. We are starving and need to get to the closest village." He said.

I look at him and then his family. I notice that they are all wearing necklaces that seem to almost shimmer every now and then. "I would believe you if it weren't for the necklaces. I suggest that you walk away while you still can trolls." I said calmly.

This area is well known to have trolls wondering about and that a handful had gotten there hands on necklaces that could change there appearance. The one that had been talking to me sighs and removes the necklace.

I was right. There before me stands a huge troll and behind him two more male trolls. They turn around and start walking away but one turns and says to me "Good job. No one else would have noticed." With that they disappeared. Well that was very odd.

Trolls are normally ruder than that. They are only nice like that if the person they are talking to is a Dragon Rider. I am not a rider though. Well I guess I will find out tomorrow. If the mark of a dragon appears on the inside of my arm then I am a rider.

A small part of me hopes that it doesn't happen but I want it to happen more than anything in the world. I continue walking back to the house. We live a small way outside of town. No one really bugs us out there and our house is a small cottage.

Looking around I am feeling a little uneasy and climb a tree. I then run through the treetops the rest of the way back but I have to go slower then I would like because of the rabbit.

I get to the meadow that my house is in. I then jump out of the tree. If someone was following me then I can't sense them anymore. Walking across the meadow I notice something is off. The front door of my cottage is slightly of its hinges like someone forced it open. 

I pull out my sword and slowly creep forward. My rabbit almost forgotten under the tree I jumped out of. I have my back to the house and am peeking into the window of the family room. I can see my dad backed into a corner with his sword out and my mom behind him.

There are about six guys surrounding them so there is no escape. The window is slightly cracked so that their voices are coming through to me. "Where is she. We know that she lives with you now where is she." The ringleader or the head guy says.

My dad looks out the window and sees me. I duck and sneak around to the back. I open the door slowly and creep into the kitchen. The kitchen is behind all the men so I unhook my bow from my belt and unfold it.

I pull it back and the arrow appears. I aim for the biggest guy's leg. I release and it hits its mark. The guy falls over and I dart back into the kitchen and go into another room. The thing about this house is that all the rooms are connected. It also helps that one room doesn't have a ceiling and is only rafters.

That is my room. I chose it just for that fact. I am now going into my room. Once in there I jump up onto my bed and then get up into the rafters. Climbing through them is no problem for me. I even have little holes that are unnoticeable from the ground floor.

I go above the living room where my parents are still on the defensive. My dad is clashing swords with four of the men. One is missing and the other is down on the ground in pain from my arrow. I pull my bow back and aim right through the hole.

This time I only nip the guy's leg but it is enough for him to lose focus and my dad to knock him out. I take aim again and this time the arrow lands solidly in his thigh by his kneecap. My dad knocks him out also. 

That leaves him fighting two people. He can handle that. I hear a footstep behind me but before I can do anything I feel a sword point into my back I slowly fold up my bow and put it on my belt. 

My sword is still on my back. "Turn around slowly." A younger voice said. I turn slowly. I come face to face with a boy about my age. His hair is dark brown practically black and his eyes are a cold blue. 

"What do you want?" I asked him. He looked at me amused. "You do know that you are the one with a sword pointed at your neck right?" He said. I only smiled. "You sure about that?" I asked him sweetly and innocently.

I look behind him and see my dad with a sword to the boy's neck. "You better put that sword down before I have to hurt you little boy." My father said calmly.

A/N

Word Count: 1424

Pretty good starting chapter if I do say so myself. I have been playing around with this story in my head for a while now. This is the first time that I have gone through a whole chapter without giving anyone a name. So if you would like to name someone then go ahead and give a name and the character you would like to name. All of them are up for grabs except the main character. So please COMMENT.