Chapter 8

As Caisson opens the door to the cabinet she keeps the coffee cups in she tries not to look in the left corner where the blue coffee mug that Gunner used. She stops and smiles as she sees her coffee mug filled with Reeses, Snickers and other candy. As she begins to pull them out a folded piece of paper falls onto the counter. Slowly she unfolds it and begins to read it.

Dear Beautiful Caisson,

Ever since I first met you two years ago I have been dying to talk to you and get to know you more. I know it might not have seemed like it over the past two weeks, but I really do care about you so very much. I have left my number at the bottom just so you know this isn't a god bye note. I want you to know that I would like it very much if we could see each other again. I hope you enjoy the candy I found at the concession stand at the rodeo. (Maybe I shouldn't tell you that, but oh well. ;))

I'll be waiting for your call, Gunner

She smiles through the gloss of tears hanging in her eyes. After typing in the number at the bottom she hold her finger over the little green dot that has the power to change everything. She shakes her head at the thought and taps it.

It rings a couple of times before the familiar voice comes across, "Hello?"

She smiles. "Hi, Gunner, it's Caisson." She can almost here the smile spread across his face.

"Caisson! I hoped you would call. I'm really sorry I never took you on that date, but in a couple weekends I have a rodeo just a couple hours from your place. If you want me to I will come over and we can do it then?"

She nods before realizing he can't see her. "Umm, uh, yeah that sounds good."

"I'm really sorry."

"It's okay. I understand, you get busy and it just slips your mind."

He winces at how bad that sounds, but it is true he had got busy and forgot. "I just have had such a great time getting to know you I forgot about the promised date. I for sure have not forgotten you. I think about you all the time."

This makes her blush. "I haven't stopped thinking about you since I first saw you at the NFR two years."

"I think you know how to read my mind pretty lady."

Just when she thinks her cheeks can't get a darker shade of red they do. No guy has ever told her she is pretty. How am I suppose to react?! She takes a slow deep breath. "So where are you headed?"

"Cheyenne Wyoming."

She nods. "Good rodeo, I'll be sure to watch you on TV." As soon as she says it she knows it sounds wrong. She does want to watch him just isn't happy he is traveling so far away.

"It's okay, you don't have to."

She shakes her head quickly. "No no no, that's not what I meant. I would love to watch you, I guess I'm just sad you are going so far away." Her voice gets quieter with every word, but everyone of them hits his heart like a tiny yet sharp rock.

He nods words just not coming out of his half open mouth. Finally they do, "I know. It's only three weeks and then I'll be back, okay?" He hopes he sounds more convincing than it feels to him. Three weeks is way too long without seeing her, but if they waited two years surely three weeks is bare able.
***
In two weeks Caisson got more orders out than she ever has. When she couldn't sleep, she would work on a pair. When she woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't think of anything but him, she would work on a order. Soon she found she needed new orders so she packed up her display items and headed to Great Falls to set up a booth. And hopefully see Gunner Pate.

Although they text often they didn't really talk about the rodeo or where he was going next because it always cause a sad atmosphere to land around them. He knew she doesn't like the rodeo and respects that by not talking about it. When she does ask how he did or where he is going next he tires to contain his excitement.

As Gunner pulls into the rodeo grounds he smiles. The noise of people settling in their horses and checking in got his adrenaline pumping. He strolls over to the check in table and signs his name under 'Bull Riding'. His gaze scans the list seeing who his competition is. No body out of the ordinary or that would be a shoo in for the buckle. It is all up to God.

He decides to look around at the booths to kill some time before he needs to get ready. The bit and spur section boggles his mind. How can a person get so detailed with a knife? The clothes section makes him long to hold Caisson tight against him. Can time fast forward, please? Lastly he decides to go by the leather section even knowing that it will only make him want her more.

He drags his hand across the smooth leather on the hand made boots. Sure he didn't really need a new pair, but for some reason things like that make him miss her a little less. He shakes his head and sets it back on the shelf. "I'll think about it," he tells the booth tender.

He looks ahead to the booths in front of him and stops short. He wants to smile and be happy, only she isn't happy or smiling. In fact she looks quite depressed and sad. Slowly he approaches her as if he is afraid of being the last straw to her mental breakdown. He gently taps her shoulder causing her to turn around. The smile that lights up her eyes and her entire face makes him feel goooy inside.

Caisson jumps into his waiting arms. "I've missed you so very much!"

"Not half as much as I've missed you! You didn't look real happy is everything okay?"

She blushes and grins. "Is now. I was just disappointed that I didn't see you, but now I do so everything is better than great."

He musters up the courage to kiss her forehead. "Well I'm glad to know I am the source of your happiness." He chooses not to ask why she is here other than to see him.

She nods, the bright smile still very much alive on her happy face. "Me too."
***

Gunner looks to the corner of the stands where he knows she is sitting. He spots her dark brows felt hat and winks at her the best he can. Then he slides behind the chutes and prepares for the adrenaline rush.

Thank you, Lord, for giving me another day to live and praise You. Keep everyone safe tonight as we spend eight seconds looking death of this life in the eye. Amen.

He takes his bull rope and heads to chute four where the white speckled bull they call Wrecker is being locked in. He climbs on the raging bulge of muscle and secures his hand. He takes deep breaths and tunes out the crowd. Focusing on the tip of the brim of his hat he nods.

The gate swings open and a blur of white begins to spin around in circles. First to the right and then to the left. The white heels reach for the sky as Wrecker bucks three times before the buzzer blows. He jumps off and runs to the chute. Sending a wink in Caisson's direction he climbs over and unzips his vest. Just as he turns around he spots her dark purple button up shirt heading his way.

"Gun! That was super amazing," she screeches as he picks her up and spins her around. Then adds as a whisper, "Even though you scared the daylights out of me."

He chuckles lightly. "Sorry about that Cais-" but before he can finish a deep throat clears behind them.

A/N

This chapter goes to thanks for adding my book to your reading list!

Is anyone else ready to hurt whoever is interrupting that special moment?